13

THE NEXT DAY

THE NEXT DAY...
ALEXA RHODES

"What do you think of this one? Do you like it?" I asked. JJ just walked out of the dressing room after trying on his 4th suit. "I don't know. What do you think?" he asked. I laughed. "JJ, it's your suit. You are going to wear it. Get something you like." I said. He groaned. "Why can't you just pick for me?" he said. "Because where's the fun in that?" I said with a smirk. He chuckled. "Go try on the last one. I have a good feeling about this one." I said. He nodded and went back inside. I sat in the chair and waited and about 5 minutes later he walked out. He was in a simple black and white suit with a bow tie that matched the color of my dress. I smiled. "I think I like this one. Do you?" he asked. I nodded. "It's really nice, you look really nice." I said. I stood up and walked up to him. I looked at him as I fixed his crooked bowtie. He smiled. "Thanks," he said. I nodded. Then I stood on my toes and I kissed him. His lips were soft and I ran my fingers through his hair. His hands rested on my waist and he pulled me against his body. Then I looked at him. "Was that ok?" I asked. "You are perfect," he said. I smiled and my cheeks turned red.

2 DAYS LATER...

It's Midsummers today and I'm actually excited. We are at my house and JJ is waiting for me downstairs while I get ready. I finished my makeup and pinned my hair back. I slid my dress, put on my heels, grabbed my and went down stairs where JJ was.

 I slid my dress, put on my heels, grabbed my and went down stairs where JJ was

He was on the phone when I walked in so I waited behind the door

He was on the phone when I walked in so I waited behind the door. I could hear the conversation between him and John B. "Since when does it take you hours to get ready for something? And I can't believe you, of all people, are wearing a suit." John B said. "It's at the Island club. I have to look the part," JJ said. "Really?" John B said. "I just- well I wanted to look nice. Ok? For Lex. Is that so hard to believe?" JJ asked. "Kind of. But have fun. I'll see you tonight." John B said. "Thanks," JJ said. Then he hung up. I couldn't help but smile. Then I walked in and he saw me. "You look... you look amazing," he said. I kissed him. Then I stepped back and fixed his bowtie...again. "You clean up nice yourself." I said.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked as he held out his arm. I nodded and took it. Then we walked out and got in the car. He drove us to the Island Club. Valet took the car and we walked in holding hands. "Name please?" one of the hosts asked. "Alexa Rhodes. My parents won't be attending this year." I said. She checked the list and nodded. Then she looked at JJ with a look of disapproval. "Mr. Maybank, you aren't on the list." she said with disgust in her voice. I know he tried to hide it, but I could see his eyes saddeen. Why was the world so cruel to him? "He's my plus one." I said. She looked us both up and down. "I would need your parents' approval for that." she said. JJ looked at me. "It's fine. Just go have fun. I'll wait at home." he said. I gripped his arm. "No. I want you to come with me." I said. I looked back at the woman. "My parents are in Beijing, which in case you are unaware, is 13 hours ahead. If you would like to call them and wake them at such an inconvenient hour so you can get approval for my boyfriend to be here, go ahead. But I would hope that you could put your prejudices aside and let us enjoy ourselves before you cause a scene," I snapped. JJ chuckled to himself and the woman's face fell. She stepped to the side and we walked in. JJ looked at me with a smirk. "Boyfriend, huh?" he said. My cheeks burned and I looked down. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you. Please, please don't be angry." I said quickly. My heart was racing and I pulled away from him. He looked at me and his face fell. He took my hand and led me to an empty hallway. I was scared. I don't know why. JJ would never hurt me. I know it. But I couldn't force that pit in my stomach away. He tucked my hair behind my ear and lifted my chin to face him. I looked everywhere else. "Lex, look at me," he said calmly. I looked at him and he gave me a gentle smile. "I know Rafe put you through hell, I don't expect you to forget everything that happened, or trust me completely, or feel completely safe all the time. I know you'll have bad days. But I need you to know something. I would never hurt you. Ever. And being your boyfriend would be the best thing to ever happen to me." he said. I smiled. "Really?" I said. He nodded. I hugged him and he kissed my forehead. "I told you everything will be ok now," he said. I stepped back and looked at him. "Do you want to dance?" I asked. "Why not?" he said. Then we went to the dance floor and danced as if nobody was watching. It was just us.