10

ALEXA RHODES

I was shaking in fear. Barry grabbed me by the throat and began to drag me out. I was screaming and fighting but he was too strong. He slammed me against the wall and punched me across the face. I fell to the side and held on to the side of the counter to keep myself standing. Then he shoved me back and pinned me to the table. He held my wrists above my head and he stood between my legs. He leaned in so our faces were inches apart. His breath smelled of beer and cigarettes. I squeezed my eyes shut and turned my head to the side. He inhaled deeply. I could feel his hot breath on my skin. "You are so pretty, why'd you have to be so difficult?" he said. I struggled and he pushed against me. His kissed my neck and my chest and started to tug at my blouse. "Please, stop!" I sobbed. "We're just getting started." he taunted. Please hurry JJ, please.

JJ MAYBANK

"Can you drive any faster?" I snapped. "I'm going as fast as I can, JJ. This car isn't exactly brand new." John B said. "She could be dead already!" I said. "JJ, calm down." Kiara said. I just stared out the window as my leg bounced up and down. Kiara and John B exchanged looks and I stared at them. "What?" I asked. "Why are we doing this?" Kiara asked. "Are you kidding?" I said. "I get why we are helping her. I do, nobody deserves this. But you know she's just going to go right back to him." John B said. "Yeah, so why do you want to put yourself through this?" Kiara said. I just looked down. "I know you like her but she loves Rafe." Kiara said gently. "No, she doesn't. She doesn't love him, she's just scared. Scared to leave him." I said. "JJ-" John B started. "I'm not going to abandon her. She needs me." I said. They nodded.

Then we got to Barry's house and got out of the car. The second my feet hit the ground, I was running. Then I heard the screams and her sobs. "Lexi!" I yelled. I broke down the front door and ran in. Then I froze at the sight. Barry had her pinned down and her shirt was ripped. He was kissing her neck and she was crying and begging him to stop. I was furious. I wanted him dead. John B and I ran forward and ripped Barry off of her. "Get off her, you sick fuck!" I screamed. He fell to the ground and I pulled the gun I had. I pointed it at him and he froze. Behind me, Kiara helped Lexi up and wrapped a jacket around her. Barry put his hands up and chuckled. "You aren't going to shoot me," he said. "Wanna bet?" I spat. "I know your daddy, boy. If you shoot me, where will he get his supply?" Barry said. "JJ," a weak voice said. Lexi stood next to me and looked in my eyes as I pointed the gun at him. "Don't do it," she said softly. I was ready to pull the trigger. He deserved it. "Please," she said. I looked at her. "Please JJ," she said as she placed her shaky hands on my wrist. Hearing her voice say my name and feeling her touch, it broke me. I nodded and put the gun down. "If you ever touch her again, I will kill you." I said sharply. Then I wrapped my arms around her and started to leave. We got in John B's van and she sat down and I sat next to her. She was shaking and there were tears on her face.

"Lexi, can you tell me what happened?" I said gently. She looked at me and nodded. "Rafe, he does drugs. Sometimes. More often than not, I guess. But he couldn't pay today. His dad won't give him anymore money and there isn't anything else left at my house for him to steal." she said. I was surprised. I didn't know Rafe was addicted to drugs. "So he used me. He said Barry could use me for one hour as payment for his drugs." she said. "Jesus, Lexi. That's fucked." I said. She nodded. "I was scared. I didn't know what to do so I-I called you." she said. "I'm glad you did." I said. She looked down. "Lexi, where should I take you?" John B asked. "Back to Rafe's house?" Kiara mumbled. "No." she said. She looked at me. "I can't do it anymore." she said. I froze. "What?" I said. "I can't do it anymore. I don't want to be with him anymore. With Rafe." she said quietly. We all looked at her. She stared at the ground. I swear I could hear her heart beating out of her chest. "You-you want to break up with him? You want to end it?" I asked. She nodded. "But I don't know how. I tried once. 2 years ago. He broke my ribs and shattered my wrist." she said. My stomach sank. Before I could speak, John B did. "We'll help you," he said. I looked at him and nodded. He nodded back. "Really?" she said. "Of course, we will help you with everything." Kiara said. Lexi gave a small smile. "I don't think she should stay at her house. It's to easy for Rafe to get to her." I said. "We can stop by your house and you can get some clothes. Then you can stay with us for a while. Ok, Lexi?" John B said. She nodded and thanked us. Then we started driving to her house. I looked at her and she looked at me. "I told you I wouldn't give up on you. You're going to be alright." I said. "Thank you, JJ." she said.