⚜ Chapter Twelve - Duplicity ⚜

The field itself had become overrun by a heavy silence. Jiren remained present, close yet still out of reach for the Saiyan. Most of those remaining of Universe 7 had been further back, all beyond Vegeta that peered at the other Saiyan. Watched his old rival who wore a glare so intense that it made the Prince falter for a moment. He'd imagined the power of his rival, but seeing it was something else. It left him at a loss for words. Of course, he wasn't the only one. Gohan had been the most affected by his own father's reappearance, leaving Piccolo to hold the other back for the time. The Nemekian knew when it was a terrible time to advance, especially with the heated stare the Saiyan bore into Jiren's frame. That being said, it didn't mean Gohan caught on.

"Let me go Piccolo! That's my own father, who I haven't seen in months, might I add!" The Nemekian sighed, holding the other closer. His tone was low, showing the concern that slipped from his tongue.

"Whether it is your father or not, Goku is not in the right mind. That much I can assure. Let him fight this battle before you go jumping into the sightline!" Gohan lowered his head, chewing his lip. It left Piccolo with a silence that gnawed at him. Even so, he kept his arms posted around Gohan's shoulders, uncaring of the observing gaze; mainly Frieza's disgusted glance.

"Can't you two keep that affection for off the field?" Gohan tensed, leaving Piccolo to scowl. He released his hold, staying beside the other as he raised his tone toward the evil ruler.

"Can't you keep that pessimistic side off the field? Teammate or not, I still won't hesitate to attack you, Frieza." The other shrugged, swaying his tail with a smirk.

"I do say, I would enjoy witnessing the attempt." Piccolo gave a low growl before both fell silent, Vegeta's voice reaching them both as the Prince landed on the ground. He gave a short scoff, glaring toward both individuals with sheer disbelief.

"Shut it, both of you. Your fighting is pointless and an ear sore." Frieza turned away, strolling elsewhere. It left Vegeta with a downcast expression, which changed once he peered toward Gohan. Even if Vegeta hated Earth, he still considered Gohan as someone important. He was Kakarot's child after all. That alone spared him the wrath of the Prince. Of course, since the offspring sought a love for the Nemekian, it made the Prince hold no issue with Piccolo; for the time that is.

"Hey Vegeta, do you think my dad can win against Jiren?"

"Such a worthless question. He'll have no struggle, that I guarantee." Gohan released a long breath, giving a faint smile. It made Vegeta rub his chin, his expression falling once more. He couldn't help but grow excited for the fight between his rival. It would be nostalgic. "When it comes to fighting Kakarot, I'll take the lead. I'd like to fight him at full strength, alone."

"I- Isn't that a bit one sided from what we witnessed?"

"Hardly. I'll have it no other way, understood? Come between me and Kakarot in this fight and I'll be sure to knock you from the ring." Gohan nodded, rubbing his head as Vegeta walked off, attempting to get closer. Even if no one saw, he held such a fierce smile. Showed his growing anticipation for the joust that he'd remember. It was his chance to see if he'd reached a higher level. As the Prince, he felt inferior to Kakarot. But if he could land a single good blow, he would feel oddly content. He knew well, Kakarot was far superior. He was far stronger. Yet it only made Vegeta's blood rise. Made him seek a higher limit. That was what Kakarot did for the Prince. He was the reason Vegeta strived to higher strengths and broke his own limits. Only the other Saiyan offered such chances and opportunities.

Back where Jiren and Goku remained, the two remained completely silent. No words were said as both scanned their opponent. The Saiyan frowned before stepping closer, his eyes sharpening. He raised a hand, shooting a basic blast out that Jiren reflected. It made the other individual grow irritated, a vein protruding as Jiren let his voice wash over the field.