40 🌈 Caleb, The Worried

🌈🌈🌈

Hindi siya sigurado kung ilang beses niyang tinawagan si Maria. He even sent messages online. Ang maikling 'Where are you?', 'Answer my call', 'Call me back', ay hindi sinagot.

Come home.

He sent at last. Lagpas tanghalian per hindi par rin ito sumasagot. He wondered if she was fine- her fever and the news if her father's death, her feelings.

Caleb convinced himself she was fine. After all, she's The Maria. There's no way she's that weak.

Wala sa loob siyang napamura, nakatanaw sa labas ng kwart.

Bakit hindi niya iyon napuna? Matagal na sana niyang napansing ni minsan ay hindi nakausap si William Bahaghari. Everything makes sense now.

It means, for the past months, she took it all; the responsibility of Rainbow Industries, the household, money matters and dealing with him.

'Kasi eighteen na ako, may power na ako para i-save amg universe'.

He should have known. Muling hinugot ni Caleb ang cellphone sa bulsa at nagdial sa ibang numero.

"I want to talk to him," diretso niyang sabi, 'di man lang bumati kay Teo, ang assistant ng ama.

"Good day, sir," ito na ang bumati. "Your father is in a meeting. Sasabihin kong tawagin ka ulit mamaya."

In these circumstances, he'd end the call and wait. But he didn't care at the moment. "I want to talk to him, now."

Panandaliang na tahimik ang assistant. For a moment, Caleb was sure he heard a chuckle before he was told to wait for a minute, then the call ended.

True to Teo's words, tumunog ang cellphone niya. Nang sinagot iyon, boses ng ama ang sumalubong.

[What is it?] ang diretsong tanong.

"I read the news... Sir." Sigurado siyang alam nito ang tinutukoy niya.

[What about it?]

"Bakit di niyo sinabi sa'kin?"

[There was no need.]

Napahigpit ang hawak niya sa cellphone.

[Iyon ang nagpagkasunduan namin ni William, bago pa man siya mamatay. His death was kept a secret to protect the company until Maria turns legal.]

Hindi sumagot si Caleb. The reason made sense at the same time it didn't. It didn't ease him a little bit.

[How is she?]

"She's sick."

[Do what you have to do. Take care of her.]

"I will," he said, realized that his tone turned cold, yet didn't change it. "Even if you don't tell me, I will."

There was silence. Si Caleb ang unang nagpaalam. "Goodbye Sir," at tinapos ang tawag.

Right after he ended the call, he immediately dialled Maria's number again, his mood already past the limit of calmness.

[Hello] a voice answered after the fourth ring.

Tiningnan niya ang screen, siniguradong number ni Maria iyon.

[Hello] ulit nito. Napagtanto niyang boses iyon ni Georgie, si Master Hokage.

"This is Caleb Montreal. Is Maria there?"

[I know you.] Georgie answered in a friendly tone. [Yeah, she's here, sleeping on my bed.]

"On your what?" Caleb asked after a pause, seething with anger. His foul mood turned for the worse.

[On my bed], ulit nito, waring nanadya. [She's sleeping soundly for an hour now.]

Caleb turned away from the window and urgently walked to the door. "Where are you right now?" Nagmadali siyang lumabas ng kwarto, balak na dumiretso sa garahe ilabas ang sasakyan.

[Why?]

Halos takbuhin na niya ang hagdan. "I'll come and get her."

[No need, Mr. Montreal.]

"What?"

[I can take care of her.] Then the call ended.

Caleb almost missed the last step down the stairs. Matiim niyang tinitigan ang screenin ng cellphone.

Grinding his teeth, he whispered, "You blue eyed f*cker..."

🌈🌈🌈