59 🌈 Caleb, The Returnee

🌈🌈🌈

Caleb woke up from a hushed voices of two people. Namulatan niya ang puting kisame ng hospital. After he gained consciousness, he realized it was his parents' voices, arguing. He couldn't see them, as if they were near the door of the private room.

"He doesn't need you, leave Mia," Sabi ng nagyi-yelong boses ng kanyang ama.

Caleb listened, wasn't bothered by the memory of him getting shot, Maria crying on the ambulance holding his hand other the sound of sirens. Ang mahalaga ngayon at ang dalawang taong nagtatalo sa silid.

Matthew told him before that his father never failed to send monetary allowance every month, too much for Mia or the whole family to spend. Kailan man ay hindi pinapakialaman ni Mia ang pinapadalang pera sa banko. There was never an annulment, there was only nothing. Silence and broken family.

And after all the years of silence between the two, it's the first time he heard them talk.

"He's my son too, Henry," Mia insisted with a hint of pleading.

"You stopped being a mother to him when you left me, you left us."

"You stopped being father to him too."

Namagitan ang katahimikan. He waited for his father's reply but there was none.

"Henry, noong buhay pa ang ama mo, it was hard, you knew it. He never approved of us. Masyadong kang busy... and your father never liked me. It was fine... for our family, I endured it."

"You gave up on us Mia."

"I didn't!" Napataas na rin ang boses ni Mia. "I just want to get away for a little while. Baka sakaling umuwi ka at hanapin mo ako. Baka sakaling tanungin mo ako kung anong problema... kung namimiss ba kita at ng mga anak natin? Kung nagkasakit ba ulit si Alex o makulit ba si Caleb. O kung kaya ko pang makisama sa mundo mo... but the accident happened."

Caleb heard Mia's sob.

"Hindi lang si Alex ang nawala sa'tin. We lost Caleb too. We lost both our sons."

Sa sunod na mga sandali, nangibabaw ang mga hikbi ni Mia. Walang sagot ang kanyang ama, bagkus ay narinig niyang bumukas ang pinto at sumara. Her sobs turned louder when his father left.

Sa bawat hikbi, may kung anong kumikirot sa bahagi ng kanyang dibdib. Inabala ni Caleb ang sarili sa pag-alala sa nangyari.

Ridiculous kidnapping. Booms. Pows. George barging in like an action star and Caleb being hit just like a side character.

Nagtimpi si Caleb na mapasigaw sa halo halong inis, pag-aalala at hapdi sa nakabendang likod niya.

Purposely, he crumbled his sheets to make a sound. The crying stopped and he heard the faint squeaking of Mia's wheels. Lumitaw ito mula sa bahaging galing sa entrada.

She was turning her wheelchair towards his bed, with eyes red trying to hold in the tears.

"You're awake... tatawagin ko ang doktor."

"Later," pigil niya bago nito pintdutin ang call button sa bedside.

Bumitaw ito, bahagyang umatras. "Kumusta ang pakiramdam mo? Lumuwas agad kami nang malaman ang balita. Nauna nang umuwi si Tito Henner at Tita Sabel mo, inaasikaso lang ang farm, pero babalik agad dito." Her voice started to shake and eyes turned glassy. "Si Matthew, nasa labas, dumalaw rin ang mga kaklase mo. Your father came too... he's worried..."

Despite the distance, Caleb felt her warmth. Many years passed since he chose to forget how fussy she is, how she easily get flustered. He chose to forget her warmth.

He too, chose to lose himself as a son to his parents.

And now, he wants to be found. It was not yet too late. He was glad he was given a chance to live.

Iyon lang ang kaibahan niya sa mga side characters. He didn't die yet.

He still got a chance to fix everything.

Iniunat niya ang mga kamay. "Mom..."

One word, but with all different meanings; a boy forgiving his mother, a boy asking forgiveness.

A little boy trying to find his way home again.

He wanted to start all over again.

"Mom..." he repeated.

It was all Mia needed. She pushed her wheelchair forward and reached his hand. "I'm here son, Mommy's here..." she repeated again and again, clutching his hand.

May kung anong bikig sa lalamunan ni Caleb na hindi niya magawang lunukin.

Then he let go and cied the silent tears, he never shed growing up. He nodded and swallowed the lump in his throat.

"Yeah," he said in a shaky voice.

🌈🌈🌈

Two chapters left. :)

~Ellena Odde ♥