Chapter 6

Jennie stretched out her arm towards the other side of the bed and found it empty. Sleep hasn't fully left her body as she tried to pat the cushion, hoping to reach for her daughter's body that was probably curled up in a cute ball that somehow rolled away from her embrace while they were in slumber. 

A few more minutes of patting and her search was deemed to be in vain. The realization that her daughter might be missing had struck her, making her bolt out in bed and her blood to rush to her head. Trying to slip in her slippers while trying to shake her head from the sudden head rush, Jennie hurriedly went out of her bedroom only to find Ella happily perched on the small dining table drinking her milk and munching on a toast.

And a certain short girl standing in front of the modest kitchen stove that their suite provided. 

"Morning, mommy," she heard her daughter say. 

"Good morning, baby." 

"La... Lali—Lili gave me bread," Ella said as she struggled to pronounce the name with her furrowed eyebrows. It was adorable. 

But the familiar nickname made Jennie's stomach churn. 

"I'm sorry, she seems to have a hard time saying your name." Jennie said as she turned towards the other girl at the stove.

"It's fine." She heard Lisa answer without even looking back at her. 

With an inaudible sigh, Jennie focused her attention back to her daughter. Being able to stay in the same room as Lisa should already be considered as a blessing for her, because in all honesty, what she did should be considered as a crime already. 

'At least she's talking to you...'

"Did you say thank you for the food, baby?" 

Ella nodded as Jennie picked her up, making the little girl sit on her lap as she continued her breakfast. 

"She was already up when I went out of my room so I decided to make breakfast. Good thing the fridge was full so..." 

Jennie saw Lisa turned towards her, all the while scratching the back of her head, a sure sign of shyness. She couldn't help but smile.

'Some things never change, huh?' 

She genuinely thought Lisa was mad at her. Well, she should be, right? 

"She usually wakes up earlier than me too, this cute baby monkey," She said as she fixed her daughter's bed hair. 

Jennie gulped as she remembered the original "cute baby monkey" in her life. 

"Ella not monkey, mommy," the little girl pouted before taking a big bite from her toast. 

"Oh, I'm sorry. You're mommy's baby right? Right?" Jennie squeezed her daughter tight and was rewarded by a cute giggle. 

"I made eggs and bacon, and there's toast in the oven. I also ordered coffee from room service, it would be here soon. I, uhm," Lisa stuttered as she placed the plate on the table in front of Jennie. "I need to, err, go and plan my shots for today's photo shoot. Oh and, uhm, good morning Jennie." 

Jennie saw the tall girl scurry away even before she could reply.

-------

Lisa had to leave before she could spill the tears that were building up in her lids. The mother-daughter interaction she had seen earlier this morning was too much for her to handle, and it reminded her of something she could have had. Not that it's her fault, or maybe it is, but still, the image that she had difficultly tried to erase had seemed to etch itself in her mind. 

'I always knew you'd be a great mom...' 

She was lucky enough that Jennie was too focused on Ella that the latter had missed the longing look she had on the two. It would have looked creepy and it would have embarrassed her more than she already was. Lisa was thankful though, that she has had the chance to make breakfast for Jennie and her daughter, and somehow she had felt a sense of accomplishment by doing so. That's the closest thing to a family that you can get, she said to herself bitterly. 

She changed into her casual clothes and took her camera. Lisa needs to remind herself that she wasn't in vacation and that work needs to be done despite the paradise she's currently in. 

With a sigh, Lisa exited her bedroom and finally the hotel room. She felt the weight of the camera on her shoulder and for a while, she thought of it as a burden. Yes, she enjoyed taking pictures of couples in the most natural element, love. But every time she snaps a photo, a little part of her dies along with her lost aspirations of ending up with the one she loves.

She didn't know why she caged herself in a profession where everything she sees reminds her of her heartbreak. Her best friend told her it was suicide but a few months into the business had taught her so many things. 

That love is still there. 

Though not for everyone such as herself, it still exists. 

"Lalisa Manoban!" 

The Thai girl turned around only to find herself being rammed head on by a shorter girl. 

"Yah! Kang Seul—" 

"Are you okay? How are you feeling? Have you guys talked? How is she? Why aren't you answering?!" 

Seulgi held her cheeks in between both palms and squished her face. She might have looked likea silly goldfish then but her best friend's grip tightened even more when she tried to pry the hands off of her.

"What?! Why aren't you talkin—Yah!" 

Lisa had managed to smack Seulgi at the back of her head, effectively freeing herself from the hold. 

"How can I even talk when you're not even letting me open my mouth?!" She scolded her bestfriend. 

"Heh, sorry." 

She saw the shorter girl grin and everything is well again. She knows full well that Seulgi was more than worried for her, so she decided to let the childish act go. Besides, no matter how much she didn't want to admit it, she was relieved that Seulgi was at least there to pick her up in case something happens. 

And her instincts are telling her that something is indeed bound to happen, now that she's in the same place as Jennie. 

"I'll tell you everything over breakfast. Come on." Lisa said as she dragged her best friend towards the hotel café.

-------

Jennie was in paradise.

"Now that I can finally make you mine, officially, I won't settle for anything less, Jennie." 

"I could get married in a closet for all I care... As long as I'm with you." 

"I'll marry you in paradise."

She kept her tears at bay as she faced the horizon, the sky painted with azure and a slight tint of purple. It looked almost the same, that one day four years ago, yet she was puzzled why the regret she felt right now wasn't present then. 

It could have saved a huge heartache and could've salvaged a broken trust. 

Jennie stood at the shore and let the sea caress her feet in a gentle rush. It was cold to the touch, too cold, almost unforgivable. 

Like what she had done that broke the only person who loves her more than anything else in the world. 

That's right, it was unforgivable. 

At least now, she's sure of it. Lisa loved her like no other. 

Loved. 

How could she have ever doubted that in the first place? 

'Lili... I'm sorry...'