Chapter 13

Lisa held the two rings and she had never felt more right in her life than that moment. The two bands that would seal their promise to each other were now literally in the palm of her hands and she can't wait for Jennie to see it. 

To wear it. 

"I found Love..." 

"...and Love was You." 

She returned them to their respective boxes and ran out of the shop with her heart floating.

-------

Lisa caught herself absentmindedly playing with the lone ring on her necklace, twisting thecold metal in its chain, pulling and rolling until it tangles. 

She heaved a sigh and brought the trapped ring in front of her and Lisa wondered how the ring would look on Jennie's finger. She chuckled at the bitter realization. If she wanted to start anew with her, then it's best to let go of the past memories and feelings. But how can she, when just having Jennie standing a stone's throw away from her already leaves her disoriented. 

Lisa swung the ring back and forth against the sun and the short engraving inside reflected against her eyes rebelliously, making her eyes flinch a bit, her heart ache a bit. 

'Love wasn't me after all, huh.' 

She chuckled sadly before keeping the necklace inside her shirt. She then stared at the other one on her finger and sighed. 

'Though you're not married to me, I'll always be bound to you, Nini.' 

Lisa stood up and dusted her pants. It had been four years since she had discovered the secluded cliff overlooking the horizon and she was thankful that she had found such a peaceful place. It helped greatly in healing her heart and to be honest, she hadn't imagined that she'd be back in her safe haven after all these years.

-------

Lisa dragged her feet along the sand and she didn't care when small rocks started to scratch them. She was numb and her heart was dead and she felt that there's nothing in the world that can hurt her anymore. She had both of her arms hanging limply at her sides and though it was cold, Lisa still felt the burning hole in her chest. 

She passed by a number of tourists, like her, but she didn't possess the smiles that they have on their faces. Three days have already gone by but the pain never went away. She thought that maybe, even for a little bit, nature can help her heal, but when you're standing at the very same spot you were supposed to marry the one you love, the same spot where she left you, maybe even the heavens wouldn't be able to do anything to take the hurt away. 

Lisa absentmindedly continued to traverse the length of the beach until her feet started to feel less and less sand. The soles of her bare feet started to hurt and she chuckled dryly, ironically, 'cause she thought it wasn't possible to feel pain anymore. She wore the flip flops she's been holding and had her breath stolen away when she saw where her feet had managed to take her.