Chapter 9

[Flashback]

It was the perfect day for a perfect wedding.

She looked at the horizon and squinted slightly as the sun stung her eyes a bit. The wind was blowing gently in her hair and Lisa couldn't help but think that everything's perfect.

Just like Jennie and her gummy smile and her mandu cheeks and just, her everything.

Today was perfect.

Lisa heard the soft chattering seize. She stared at the sky for the last time before letting out a smile. She was beyond nervous.

Today, she can finally make Jennie hers.

Taking a deep breath, Lisa turned around and was met by the most beautiful bride in the world. She felt her heart stop as she felt the back of her neck had started to sweat. She closed her fists tightly just to stop them from shaking.

Not making any effort to stop the tears that were building slowly in her lids, she let them fall freely on her cheeks. Saying that she was overwhelmed was an understatement. The universe could end right now and she wouldn't care. Jennie's longing gaze was enough for her to survive.

With every step, a tear falls.

"Beautiful." Lisa said as she held Jennie's hand tightly, her bride finally reaching her after her entourage.

Today was about them, the two of them. Missed were the loving gazes of their friends and families towards them. Right now, it's only about Lalisa Manoban and Jennie Kim.

"Are you okay?"

"H-Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm fine, Lili." A small smile.

"Okay. Are you ready?"

"Y-yes."

Lisa was still drowning in bliss that she had missed how Jennie fidgeted beside her. Her mind was too preoccupied by happiness that she didn't sense the other girl's anxiousness.

Everything is perfect, she thought.

But reality had to be cruel.

"Do you, Lalisa Manoban, take this lovely woman as your lawfully wedded wife? To love and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer, 'til the day you both shall live?"

"I do, and always will." Lisa said with the widest smile she can make.

"And you...?" The wedding official turned to Jennie.

The Thai girl looked at her soon-to-be-wife lovingly as she waited for the latter to answer. She can't wait to call her Mrs. Manoban.

Jennie opened her mouth but no words came out. Lisa started to think that something was wrong.

"Hey, Nini, are you oka—"

"I... I—I'm sorry, Lisa." Jennie broke from her grip. "I... I can't marry you."

"Wha—Jennie!"

Everything happened so fast that even Lisa didn't get the chance to blink. One second Jennie was standing right next to her, but now she found herself running after her bride who was having a hard time with her gown.

"Jen! Wait! W-where are you going?!"

Lisa caught up to her and hugged her from the back, effectively seizing Jennie's movements and running.