25 | PAY UP

25 | PAY UP

It took a few days for Nichole to feel less on edge and more in control of her emotions.

She eventually brought Bonnie and Alicia up to speed, told them to stay armed and to not travel alone in case whoever has Kade makes an attempt to come after one of them next. Guilty by association because they're affiliated with Nichole who's affiliated with Kade. Ademar contacts his brother and temporarily moves him into his condo while he stays at Taehyun's with Nichole.

"What about your family, babe?" Nichole asks, taking a moment to sit and catch her breath. "Are you going to give them a heads up about what's going on?"

"Nah. They're safe," Taehyun replies. "My sister is on vacation out of state and my parents live several counties over in a gated community that they rarely ever leave. I'm not worried about them."

"Well, I convinced my parents to take a trip overseas for their upcoming anniversary." Nichole continues to go down her mental checklist, sighing heavily. "What do you think I should do with the bakery? I can't leave Danielle hanging again."

"It might be best to shut it down until this mess blows over," Taehyun recommends. "These people have proven just how ruthless they are. God forbid they show up and do something to your store, or worse, harm one of your employees by trying to send you a message. The fewer people we get involved, the better. Unless you think otherwise."

"No, what you said makes sense and I really don't want to add another tragedy to my conscience," Nichole replies. "Are you up for a short trip?"

"Sure. To the bakery?"

"Yeah. I have money inside the safe in my office that I need to get out. Say these fuckers do try to run up and catch me off guard, I'd rather not be forced to give them a dime."

"I understand. When do you want to head over there?" Taehyun asks.

"Now? The sooner the better," Nichole answers. "Will you come with me?"

Taehyun smiles. "As if I'd let you go alone."

Having had an eventful morning that was mostly spent in bed, the two decide to let Ademar sleep in while they quietly slip out. Taking Taehyun's car, they drive to Nichole's bakery in silence. It's become difficult to hold casual conversations considering their lives are one wrong turn away from bursting into flames.

"Looks like Danielle hasn't left for lunch yet. This is good," Nichole says while they park. She glances at Taehyun before getting out of the car. "Stay here and keep watch? I'll be out in a sec."

"Yes, ma'am." Taehyun winks, keeping the car running.

Nichole speed walks into the bakery. Talking fast, she tells Danielle and the rest of the staff to clock out for the remainder of the day. Promising them paid time off and without disclosing the fake emergency, she informs them that the bakery will be closed for the next two weeks. She hopes by then that this chaotic situation with Kade will have come to a permanent end.