12 | A SWEET AND MESSY REUNION (Censored)

1 WEEK LATER

"Ms. Nichole, you're the best at making chocolate chip cookies! I wish I could have them every day because they're sooo good!"

Nichole grins at the energetic child, laughing right along with his mother while she searches for her wallet. They make small talk for a bit and Nichole eventually finishes with them at the register. She waves goodbye to one of her favorite little customers before closing things down for the night.

While doing some last-minute cleaning, Nichole looks up at the clock on the wall and smiles, the butterflies in her stomach fluttering awake. Taehyun will soon arrive to pick her up and take her home. Sure, she could easily use a car service, but when she has two capable boyfriends at her disposal, why spend money on an Uber? Ademar and Taehyun are more than happy to drive her around until she gets her car out of the shop in a few weeks.

Nichole continues to feel absolutely terrible about the deer she hit the other night. Luckily it bounced right back up and ran into the field on the other side of the road, living to see another day. The same can't be said for her poor car, unfortunately. The passenger side door, part of the front bumper, and windshield are either partially damaged or completely trashed. But Nichole made it out unscathed, so the accident wasn't as bad as it could have been.

The bell on the door rings suddenly, signaling that someone has entered.

"I'm sorry, but I'm in the middle of closing down for the night. You'll have to come back tomor..." Nichole turns around and almost drops the broom she'd been using. "Y-You... N-no..." Her eyes widen in terror and her knees feel like they're going to give out at any second. Fear keeps her grounded, frozen in place and unable to bolt for the back exit as she stares at a man that she never thought she'd see again. "L-Leave! You can't be here. You're not welcomed here."

He looks so much older than what she remembered, no longer looking like the young and handsome blue-collar businessman that she had once fallen for all those years ago, regrettably.

"First and foremost, I'm not a ghost, Nicky. Why are you staring at me as if I am one? Secondly, you're being a bit rude right now, don't you think?" Kade Lowery chuckles. Nichole cringes. She used to love his stupid laugh almost as much as she loved him, but now she hates the sound of it. Hates all memories tied to him. Hates him, the man, with a burning fucking passion. "There are ten minutes left until closing, right? I can technically still be served."

"No, you technically fucking can't. This is my shop, my rules. I don't want you here, so you need to turn around and get the hell out right now!" Nichole finds it difficult to speak much less sound threatening. Her throat feels like it's closing in on her, her mouth having gone as dry as Kade's ragged appearance. He looks like shit compared to how he used to look back in the day, back when he was suave and had more money than he knew what to do with. Guess this is what happens when one is fresh out of jail after being in there for years. Speaking of which... "Shouldn't you be—"