Chapter 40: Shots Fired

It was as if everything moved in slow motion when the black van drove toward us. 

It was then I became nervous since Cole was repeatedly calling my name to come back to him.

In a quick motion, he threw us both behind the nearest car to us, I panted while he breathed his minty breath across our face.

"Now look at the mess you got us into!" He said, angrily.

"What do you mean?" I asked, nervously.

"We wouldn't be in this mess if you stayed your ass in the car! I could've driven us back to my place by now," He replied.

His eyes and mood darkened as he stared at me intensely, making me look away from him.

"Sorry," I said, timidly.

Seconds later, gun shots rang from a few feet away of the car we were hiding behind. Before I screamed, Cole placed his large hand over my mouth as he told me to shut up.

Suddenly, the car windows shattered making me more fearful as tears pricked my eyes. Cole wiped away tears telling me that everything will be okay.

"Shit...wait here..." Cole said, taking his gun out his back pocket and removing the safety.

Just like the wind, he quickly lifted himself halfway up to get a better view of the assailant and shot at them.

Moments later, he dodged the bullets fired at him.

"Ahhh," I heard on the other side when Cole came to me as I heard ringing in my ear.

"Naomi!" Cole shouted as I fated in and out of reality.

It was almost like a dream that I had gotten Cole and I in this situation.

Damn, I thought. I would never run out the car again especially when Cole warned me not to in the first place.

I didn't know if whether I should be relieved to see that Cole had shot the shooter as I looked underneath the car when suddenly they shot me twice.

It was the fear filled my heart since I knew danger still lurked in the darkness.

Cole then held me to his chest as his large arms encircled my waist, the heat of them searing through my shirt. I winced when I felt an unbearable pain in my upper abdomen.

Realizing the discomfort I felt, his eyes looked over my body for any possible wounds I had.

When he saw I was bleeding, he became more angry and killed the shooter with no regrets.

Soon after, he lifted up my shirt halfway, and saw a gunshot wound in the right side of my abdomen.

"Mio bella, are you okay?" He said in a velvety voice.

"Is...is he dead..." Blood leaked from my mouth.

"Yes he needed to die," He said nonchalantly, taking off his shirt, ripping some parts of it and wrapped it around my wound, so I wouldn't lose any more blood.

"You're a cold blooded killer," I panted and he nodded his head.

"I explain more to you later," He sighed as he got on his knees and rested my head on his leg.

But even with the heat I felt from his body, I still felt myself becoming colder by the seconds.

"We have to leave now." He got up, while carefully cradling me in his arms and started running forward.

The quicker he ran, it felt like the wind were right through my body, and I shuddered feeling somewhat cold.

"What's going on?" My voice barely above a whisper.

I looked over his shoulder, and scanned the area.

I knew the chances I had at surviving were slim to none if I was alone, I was glad I wasn't.

"Why didn't you hide better?" He asked.

"I just wanted..." When I heard some noises far from the bushes, I snuggled closer to him, being scared shitless. "What was that?" I questioned, feeling my eyes getting watery which happened when I was either scared or angry.

"Nothing and it was an assassin," He said in a serious undertone.

I nearly lost it after he said that.

"Is there more of them?" My heart was beating at a fast rate and I knew this was far from a dream, but everything felt surreal.

"No, I made sure of it," He rushed us out of the lion's den as so many questions were running through my mind.

By the seconds, it was becoming harder for me to breathe and my eyelids felt heavy.

Moments later, he looked down at me, noticing the weak state that I was in and it being harder for me to stay awake.

"Stay awake for me." He responded and I nodded my head, fighting to do just that.

He held me tightly to him, making sure I was safe in his arms.

But even so, I closed my eyes, being at war with myself to either let go, or fight to live.

© 2021. All Rights Reserved 2021 Punkxst