Chapter 1

Danaë let her head hang low, the cold from the stone floor slowly sinking into her legs where she knelt.

Many footsteps in the distance grew louder, nearing her. Soon, she would discover if this desperate gambit of hers would bear fruit, or if it was as foolish as she feared.

A door opened, heavy oak creaking with age as it swung on iron hinges. The footsteps entered, surrounding her.

A voice that she recognized, the guard from before, spoke. "State your business with the king."

Danaë lifted her head slightly. The men that flanked her wore soldiers' garb in varying levels of quality, with different insignia denoting rank.

None of them caught her attention, though. All her hopes and fears laid on the man before her.

"Speak!" The guard demanded.

She ignored him – he was irrelevant.

Raising her head, she faced the king.

Dark eyes – fathomless and unknowable, like the ocean at night.

Exactly as she remembered them.

"Leave us."

His voice rumbled through the room.

The assembly hesitated.

"I said, leave us!"

Danaë tried not to flinch at his sharp tone.

The men heeded his command. As they left, Danaë felt her heartbeat quicken.

The last man drew the door closed behind him, and they were alone.

He said nothing, walking slowly toward her, circling her.

His hands reached out, fingers catching on her hood and dragging it back, exposing her to his view.

"Hello, Princess."

"King Cenric-"

"Allow me to express my condolences for the loss of your parents."

She swallowed, "Thank you."

They hadn't made it out of the palace. She hadn't seen it, but she'd heard the cheers from the crowd.

"What brings you to my hall?"

"I-" she thought of all the lies she could tell, but opted for the truth. "Maxson has chased me out of every hiding spot, hunted down every ally." She swallowed. "No one would ever expect to find me here. With you."

His eyes burned with some indecipherable emotion and his lips quirked, "So, you're seeking my protection?"

Her voice quavered as she answered him. "Yes."

A moment passed, an eternity of seconds, while he surveyed her, weighing her fate in his hands.

"Very well then." He turned away, "Come with me."

Danaë stared after him, stunned.

"That's it?"

He turned, eyebrow cocked, "You're disappointed?"

"No! No, absolutely not – I simply..."

"What?" He stepped nearer to her, forcing her to angle her head back to meet his gaze. "What is it, Princess?"

Her mouth went dry at his proximity. "I expected you to make me beg for it."

Reaching his hand forward, his fingertips traced the line of her throat until he held her chin between his thumb and forefinger. Danaë couldn't understand why, but his smile sent goosebumps across her skin.