Chapter 16

Walking into the Great Hall of Nikolaj's castle, Danaë was struck by the differences. Whereas Cenric's was slightly larger, Nikolaj's was brighter, airier, owing to numerous tall, wide, leaded windows lining the space.

Through them, she could see the golden light as the sun set over the distant mountains.

Cenric's mountains.

An attendant escorted them to the high table, slightly curved to accommodate conversation, leading Cenric to a seat next to Nikolaj and Danaë next to Cenric.

Despite keeping her head down, Danaë could feel Nikolaj's sharp stare cutting through her.

Below them, the courtiers and servants alike stood, waiting.

"Esteemed guests," Nikolaj lifted a hand, addressing his people, "It is my privilege to introduce our honored visitors from the north, King Cenric and Lady Isolde of Ravenswald."

Danaë inclined her head, acknowledging the assumed name and title.

As she raised it, though, her attention caught on one particular face in the crowd.

A woman scowled her way, anger and bitterness radiating across the distance.

No, Danaë thought, She's not scowling at me-

Glancing aside, Danaë realized, -she's scowling at Cenric.

As she watched, a muscle ticked in his jaw, and she felt the urge to ask him who she was.

Then, the awareness that they were literally the center of attention came flooding in, and she shoved the thought into the back of her mind.

After a sumptuous feast filled with local delicacies, the food and tables were cleared away to make room for dancing. At the far end of the hall, a band of troubadours began to play a sedate tune as Nikolaj led his queen onto the floor.

Next to Danaë, Cenric held out his hand, "Shall we, my Lady?"

"Dance?" She smiled, unsure.

He smiled, "As I recall, you still owe me one..."

His voice trailed off, and she remembered him asking that night in the Palace, daring the displeasure of her parents and ultimately being denied.

Danaë took his hand, squeezing, "I suppose I do, my Lord."

With a satisfied smile, he stood, leading her down to the dance floor and waiting as the royal couple finished the customary first dance.

Then, as the floor opened up, Cenric swept her into his arms.

"You should know," she confessed, "I was never trained for this."

"Really?" He asked, his free hand resting against the small of her back.

Danaë chuckled, "Nobody ever expected me to need it."

"Well, just follow my lead and let me take control." Cenric ducked his head whispering, "You know how to do that, don't you Princess?"

Her face warmed with a sudden blush, and she nodded.

Subtly, he pressed her closer, molding her against him until she could feel the unmistakable bulge of his erection.

As the music played, he kept them close, and she watched, breathless, as every touch, every glancing brush of her hips against his stoked the fire in his eyes.

"Is this how you would have danced with me that night?" She asked, voice husky, pulse throbbing within her.

"No," he smirked, "this is how I would have danced with you after."