Chapter 2

Three years ago...

The air in the ballroom was stuffy, pungent with smoke and perfume and sweat.

Danaë, seated at yet another throne by her mother's side, blinked, willing the stinging in her eyes to go away before she had to do something drastic, like wipe them and risk ruining her makeup.

Her dress that night was a marvel of weaving, stitching and beadwork. Radiant and golden in the candlelight, it was the work of a master craftsman.

And it would sit in one place all night.

Danaë watched the dancers, her expression carefully distant, hiding the wistful longing that ached within her.

The imperial family were the chosen representatives of God on this Earth. They would never do something so human as to dance.

But, oh, did Danaë wish that they could.

Though subdued and sedate, the pairs moving across the center of the ballroom looked like they were enjoying themselves. One couple, a young woman, and a young man, looked about as happy as one could, given the circumstances. 

 After all, there is a limit to the jubilation you can show in the presence of literal divinity.

But they smiled, and when their hands touched, her fingers gripped his.

Danaë could almost feel the warmth.

When had she ever been touched like that?

Danaë couldn't remember the last time she'd had physical contact with someone other than her maids.

Swallowing past the sudden lump in her throat, her attention caught on the black-clad man approaching them.

King Cenric... His dark eyes flashed to her for the briefest moment, and Danaë could almost have believed that she imagined it if not for the lingering heat his gaze left behind.

He stopped a respectful distance away from them and bowed.

"Your majesties, I wonder if I might ask a favor?"

His voice was the low rumble of a distant thunderstorm, and Danaë fought the urge to watch his lips as he spoke.

Her father answered him, "What would you ask, King Cenric?"

"It's come to my attention that the princess has not left her seat all night. If it is permitted, I was hoping to accompany her in the next dance."

Danaë's next breath choked to stillness in her throat.

A dance? With him?

Turning her head slightly, she glanced out of the corner of her eye toward her mother.

The empress spoke with equanimity. "I thank you for your attentiveness, King Cenric, but I'm afraid that what you ask is not possible."

Danaë returned her attention to the king, hiding the crushing disappointment that she felt.

Of course, it wasn't possible. Court protocol dictated that while the imperial family must preside over events such as these, they were not permitted to participate in them.

After all, they were supposed to be divine.

Would God's Chosen ever stumble? Misstep? Tread on their partners' feet?

It was easy to appear omnipotent and untouchable when all you were ever seen to do was sit.

He bowed again. "My mistake, Majesty. Please forgive my impertinence."