Chapter 18

As the ceremony closed, Danaë stood, smoothing out her dress. Across the room, Princess Hanne peeked around her mother's skirts, waving shyly. Danaë smiled, waving back.

Then, as she straightened up, she noticed the Queen watching her with calculating eyes.

Dipping into a deep curtsy, Danaë murmured, "Your Majesty."

But, before she could hurry away, the Queen said, "Lady Isolde?"

Freezing in place, Danaë turned, assuming a pleasant expression, "Yes, your Majesty?"

"How are you enjoying your stay?"

"Very well, your Majesty."

"I'm glad to hear it - please know that if there is anything you need or desire, you only have to ask."

"Thank you, your Majesty - that is very generous of you." With another curtsy, Danaë was about to leave when her eyes caught on the stained-glass windows.

"Actually," she began, "there is one thing I would ask of you, if I may?"

One eyebrow rose slightly as the Queen surveyed her, "Yes?"

"I was wondering; could I be granted permission to use the castle library?"

The Queen's cautious expression showed the briefest hint of surprise, "The library?"

"Yes, your Majesty, I adore the written word and I enjoy perusing others' collections whenever I have the opportunity."

"You're literate?"

There was the subtle undercurrent of mockery in her voice, but Danaë let the insult pass, "Yes - my parents insisted that I learn my letters, and I am grateful for it."

The Queen smiled, glancing down at the Princesses standing at her feet, "Did you hear that? She's grateful that she learned to read."

Hanne looked up, whining, "But Mama-"

"Hush." Addressing Danaë, she said, "I'm afraid it's a bit more modest than the one at our Summer Castle, but you have my permission to access this library as you please."

Danaë smiled, genuinely pleased, "Thank you, your Majesty." Continuing, she added, "Was there anything else you wished of me? Or may I take my leave?"

She resumed her queenly demeanor, "You may go."

Danaë curtsied one final time. Released from courtly obligation she stepped away, intending to slip from the chapel-

-until she turned, coming face to face with the woman from last night.

Her stare cut through Danaë, no less penetrating than it had been at dinner, and she watched as the woman recognized her.

An expletive she'd never spoken aloud flashed through Danaë's mind.

The woman's jaw clenched, and for a moment, it looked like she had something to say, but before she could utter a syllable, Danaë excused herself, ducking out of the sanctum.

If she has anything to say to me, then she will not be saying it in front of the Queen.

Hurrying, she collected Osmund and Leofstan and headed back to her chambers.

As she walked, her thoughts calmed, setting aside the issue of the mysterious woman and turning again to the unfamiliar tableaux that decorated these northern castles. It was strange, being raised in the Imperial City where there was one god and one holy scripture, to come here where remnants of the old beliefs were everywhere and seemingly known by everyone but her.

Perhaps I can find something about them in the library...

The issue had slipped her mind at Cenric's castle, but here, with her training temporarily suspended, she found herself with a great deal of extra time and energy.

Speaking of...

Danaë looked up, and immediately had to fight back a sour expression.

Godric sauntered down the hallway, lazily eating an apple.

As he caught sight of her, his lips curved in a salacious grin.

"My Lady - his Majesty wished me to convey a message to you."

Swallowing her repulsion, Danaë answered, "Yes?"

"He wished to inform you that he will be spending the afternoon in the King's study, and he will see you at dinner."

Danaë nodded stiffly, "Thank you."

"You know," Godric's voice lowered as she moved to pass him, "if you wanted, I'm sure I could find some way to entertain you."

Her spine stiffened, and she bit out, "That won't be necessary."

"Why not?" His slimy tone was irksome to her ears, "One brother's as good as the other."

Brother?

Danaë frowned, "What?"

Godric smirked, "You didn't know?"

"Know what?"

Chuckling, he drew nearer, "We're brothers."

Bile rose up Danaë's throat, "I don't believe you."

Godric's eyes grew cold, "Believe it. The old king left behind a trail of bastards. Cenric managed to have a highborn mother, so he inherited. The rest of us weren't so fortunate."

Danaë's memories flashed before her, remembering how her parents had dismissed Cenric's proposal with disgust, speaking of him as though he were a mongrel dog.

He's a bastard?

Swallowing, she spoke, "Regardless of whether you're telling the truth or not, my answer remains the same."

Reaching up, he traced the woven strands of her braid, "You know, one day, his interest in you will wane, and my offer won't seem so repugnant-"

She cut him off, hot with indignation, "Get your hand off of me."

Godric's stare met hers, sharp as a viper's fang, "Or what?"

Time froze, and icy fear washed down Danaë's back.

"Or I'll say it louder, and my guards will hear."

His eyes lit with vicious amusement, "Do you think they'll defend you? My Lady, they'll want to join in."

Danaë's words failed her - she could only watch as he leered.

"Do you remember the day you came to the castle? Do you remember that I was there, in the room when you first spoke to Cenric?" Pinning her with his gaze, his volume dipped to a deadly whisper, "I saw your rags, and I know you're no Baroness - you're just Cenric's whore. It's only a matter of time until he tosses you aside like the others. And, when that day comes, I'll be waiting."

Dropping the half-eaten apple at her feet,Godric turned his back to Danaë, calling out, "Good day to you, my Lady."