eight

// SONG: Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen \\

-//-

18th of September, Thursday, 1975

"I want to grow a beard," Peter announced, rubbing his chin as he looked at his reflection on an empty silver plate.

Andrea paused and looked up from the playbook James had forced her to read cover to cover, furrowing her brows at Peter.

It had been a grey, rainy day at Hogwarts and all the Marauders were gathered around the fire, spread out across the comfy couches of the Common Room.

Sirius chuckled from his position on the floor, tossing his tennis ball in the air repeatedly and catching it. "That's like James and Lily," he started, earning James and Remus' attention too, "Never going to happen," he finished with a smirk.

"Hey!" James protested, snatching Sirius' ball out of the air and tossing it across the table to Andrea. Andrea caught it without a blink and flipped to the next page of her book, only listening with half an ear.

Sirius pushed up on his elbows and gave James a lazy look. "Tell me I'm wrong," he challenged.

"Well," James said smugly, straightening his glasses. "If you must know, Lily and I kinda had a thing last night," he said proudly.

As Andrea went to turn the next page she faltered slightly, giving James her full attention while trying to act as if she wasn't paying attention.

She unwrapped one of the lollipops in her pocket and quickly popped it into her mouth, sucking hard on the sucker.

"Do tell," Sirius chuckled, chancing a glance at Andrea. Remus and Peter both cast her side glances too, but James was oblivious to this. James kicked Peter's feet off the table, forcing him to pay attention too.

He needed this. He needed to act as if everything was back to normal. That he was just as obsessed with Lily as he had been a couple of years ago. He needed a distraction.

"It was after Potions. She and I were alone in the classroom, and we had... eye contact," he said, looking around at his friends, thrilled at the new development.

Lily was just as beautiful and kind as she had always been, so why couldn't he be obsessed with her? Why couldn't she be the one on his mind all day long? He couldn't think of a reason why not, so he had decided to pursue the Lily chase he had been on since he was twelve.

"And if Lily kept giving him attention, he could finally sort out the mess his head had been in all summer.

Sirius snorted loudly and sat up to ruffle James' messy hair. "Eye contact, huh? Wow, I hope you were using protection charms," he laughed at his friend.