thirty-seven

// SONG: You're My Best Friend, Queen \\

-//-

30th of December, Thursday, 1976

Tensions were high in both the Potter and Russo homes that Christmas. Andrea tried to block the conversation they had overheard in a box far back in her mind, but every time she looked at her parents, she couldn't help but feel betrayed.

Marco had been released the next day with a clean bill of health after his curse/heart attack, so everyone was back at the house for Christmas dinner.

She wanted them to tell her everything, and even she knew that sounded childish, but when she knew they were consciously hiding something from her, it was hard to see them as the good guys.

But even with everything going on, the Potter and Russo parents put on the best Christmas they could for their kids, making the students feel even more guilty because they were the ones making it worse now.

But some of them had bigger problems and had managed to put the subject of lying parents in the back of their minds because he had something else far more important going on.

Sirius had wanted to tell James something for... well, for years now. And he had told himself he would do it before the new year. Seeing as New Year's Eve was the next day, he was running out of time.

Andrea already knew, so he could technically say it in front of her, but that wasn't how he wanted to do it. And getting Andrea and James to separate was easier said than done.

But he got his wish.

Andrea had gone shopping with her mother and Mia for clothes to bring with her to Hogwarts for the New Year. Leaving Sirius, James and Monty alone at Potter Cottage.

Sirius knocked on James' door, opening it before he got a response. James lifted his head with a frown. "The point of the knock is to tell the person on the other side of the door you're coming and give them a chance to answer you. The knock is pointless if you just barge in anyway," he pointed out, wagging a pencil in his face.

"Anything I walked in on, I've seen before," Sirius argued back, leaning against the desk James was sitting. James raised a challenging eyebrow. "What if I was beating one out?"

Sirius made a face. "That's what girlfriends are for, Prongs. Now you don't need to abuse yourself like that." 

James' ears turned scarlet as he swivelled his chair away from Sirius. The older boys mouth fell open in surprise. James slept in Andrea's dorm almost every single night, so he'd assumed. But it seemed the dream couple hadn't done the dirty deed.

He refrained from mocking him, instead, focusing on the task at hand.

"Have you ever had Chinese food?" he asked him out of the blue.