forty-three

// SONG: Unsteady, X Ambassadors \\

-//-

1st of June, Wednesday, 1977

After the Quidditch Finals, the students had to shift their focus to other things. Mostly, their exams.

Andrea's hand dropped from twisting the beads of her necklace and she lifted her head from her Transfiguration book to shoot James a hard glare beside her. He responded with an innocent smile Andrea wanted to smack right off him.

She grabbed his hand off her thigh from under the table and threw it back to him roughly. Her method for studying had been to block everything else out, not needing any extra distractions. 

James' method for studying had been to distract himself as much as possible and explore his other vices instead.

Andrea let out a small growl as his hand returned, two fingers walking up her jean-covered thigh  as legs. As she went to tell him off properly, she stopped to the sound of a loud sniffle coming from across her.

She looked on in horror as Sirius sniffled again, a tear leaving his eye. James had noticed as well and quickly dropped his quill, turning his attention to Sirius.

"Dude, are you okay?" he asked urgently. Sirius looked up from his notes and gave a watery smile. "Totally," he got out through a shallow breath.

Andrea and James shared a glance. "Then why are you crying?" she asked gently, patting his hand that wasn't writing notes. Sirius rubbed his nose, smudging ink on his cheek. "Because I wrote the wrong dates on three of the giant wars and now my sheet of notes is useless and I have to redo everything on this paper."

Andrea pulled the parchment away from him, looking over the flawless notes. 

If Sirius hadn't said so, she wouldn't know there was a mistake to correct. Of course, she hadn't memorized the giant wars because she wasn't taking History of Magic anymore, but James helped and pointed it out to her.

She quickly pulled out her wand and tapped the parchment. "There you go, all fixed. No need to redo it."

She handed it over to Sirius again and he looked over at her in awe. 

"How come I didn't think of that?" he asked no one in particular. "Because you're book-smart, not streetsmart," Remus responded, resting his hand on Sirius' back.

Sirius turned to Remus with a pout. "I'd like to protest but I think you're right. Sometimes I think I'm just not smart. Like this morning; I forgot to take my clothes off before I went in the shower."

Andrea tried very hard to not smile at that, but he made it hard. As the crisis was averted and his best friend wasn't in distress anymore, Andrea felt James' hand return to its teasing nature, running slowly up and down her leg, inching further and further to the inside of her thigh with every trip.