nineteen

// SONG: I'll Be There, The Jackon 5 \\

-//-

31st of January, Saturday, 1976

It was like one of their limbs were missing.

Ever since James and Andrea had returned from the bathroom, Andrea had locked herself in her dorm and not come out since. And it was eating every single Marauder alive.

When James returned, instead of being the murderous one, he had to help Peter and Sirius in holding Remus back before he went off and ripped Avery's head off his body.

Not to say the others didn't want to inflict pain on him. They just didn't want Remus to go to Azkaban for his murder.

But they never got their chance to make Avery suffer. because the next day, McGonagall, with help from Mad-Eye Moody, had Avery expelled on the spot.

James returned to Andrea's door, knocking gently. "I don't know if you've heard but he's been expelled," he spoke through the door, hoping she was listening. He didn't get a response, but he hadn't heard a response from her since they got off of the bathroom floor.

James sighed heavily and leaned his forehead against the door. "I know it doesn't fix anything or change what happened, but at least you'll never have to see his stupid face again," he spoke gently yet clearly.

No response. He squeezed his eyes shut tightly, resisting the urge to knock his head against the door repeatedly. "I have to go to Quidditch practice, but I'll be back after that. Try to eat something in the meantime."

He pulled away and rested his hand against the door, whispering, "I love you," before heading off.

-//-

2nd of February, Monday, 1976

All the boys tried to help in their own way. Sirius magicked records onto her record player through the door to try and lift her spirits with the music Sirius never let her play when they were all sat together.

But he never heard her sing to Bob Marley or get up and dance to Jackson 5.

As a last hail Mary, he transported one of his Bowie records through the door, but still, she didn't scream bloody murder or curse him to the depths of hell.

Which broke Sirius more than he'd ever admit. 

Remus tried to open her up to their shared love of DADA, CoMC and chocolate. He'd read the required reading to her, sliding bits of chocolate under the doorjamb every once in a while.

But he struck out as well. Not once did Andrea respond, correcting Remus when he purposefully said the wrong thing. Not once did he hear her cheer for him as she usually did when he managed to read the hard words. No sign of life.