thirteen

// SONG: My Girl, The Temptations \\

-//-

17th of December, Thursday, 1975

December's full moon was fast approaching, and the Marauders were preparing.

Andrea and James had been the only ones capable of joining Remus last full moon in October. And when they had tried to follow the same tunnel in November, Remus had boobytrapped it so they couldn't get through.

He felt so guilty about dragging them into all of this and putting his friends in danger like that, he just wanted them as far away as possible.

But after Andrea had told him off for a solid hour, he gave in and agreed to let them follow the next moon.

Something Andrea was most grateful for at the moment, because she needed as many distractions as possible.

The day before the full moon, Andrea headed off to Dumbledore's office to take her weekly lessons. The Professor had received complaints from McGonagall that Andrea had fallen asleep a lot more often during classes the last month, so he was no longer allowed to teach her at the end of the day, McGonagall thinking that was what was keeping Andrea awake.

So instead, he asked if she would be open to sharing lunch with him at his office for the coming Thursdays, combining her break with some extra lessons.

She was more than happy to accept.

With her lollipop firmly in her mouth, she mumbled his new password to the Gargoyle guarding it, Pop Rocks, whatever that meant.

The first thing she told him as she saw her Headmaster was how she thought her magic was going out of control.

He nodded along to her explanation, no emotion showing on his face. Only perhaps, curiosity.

As she finished, Dumbledore lowered his hands to his lap and leaned slightly forward in his chair, looking down at the young, worried teenager.

"Miss Russo, I think I need to reassure you here, that nothing is wrong with you. You have not broken your magic by using it too much. I can safely say, this is completely normal."

Andrea let go of the breath she didn't realise she was holding, relief filling her every nerve. She lessened the pressure she was putting on her lollipop and rolled it over her tongue a few times.

"Then, what's happening?" she asked. Dumbledore let a small smile appear and she saw a playful twinkle in his clear blue eyes.

"Emotions," he said simply.

Andrea furrowed her brows at the old man? "That's it?" she almost laughed. He nodded, a smile finally coming through. "Yes, that's it. Even the most skilled witches in the world will feel their magic or skill affected by their emotions. It happens to the best of us. What is important for you to remember is that your emotions don't make you weaker or more vulnerable. They make you stronger and much more capable. In the New Year, we can maybe start work on you trying to use your emotions to your advantage."