008

"Do you love me then?" y/n looked straight into Ran's eyes. They were surprised.

Ran pondered the question for a moment, then looked at y/n.

"Not really." He replied at last. "I've said this before, you're my dog." He patted her head.

"Am I allowed to be with you then?" y/n's eyes were wide and hopeful.

"You seriously want to? Really?" Ran's tone was disbelieving.

"I'm your dog, aren't I?"

The question was rhetorical, and it was left in the air, which had begun to grow painfully tense. Finally, Ran asked y/n a question.

"Do you want to go back to school then?" He looked at her expectantly. "You're a dependant adult now. You could stay with me."

"If that's what you want."

"What do YOU want?" Ran pressed.

"... To stay with you."

"See? Simple answer." Ran smirked. Then he stood up. "Right. I'll do make the preparations and stuff. You'll be able to cut ties with your family. Actually, what's your last name, and what school do you go to?"

"l/n, XX school." y/n felt like any moment, she would wake up in her uncles smelly little flat, whisked away from this reality that felt like a dream. It had only been two days since she met Ran. She felt like she knew him, his body, his smile, his lips, but she didn't know about him. She didn't know his history, his exact business, his criminal record. Heck, she wasn't sure if what they had was love, though she suspected it completely wasn't.

Mom would be so disappointed in me if she saw me now.

I'm pretty disappointed in myself, too.

"Okay. y/n l/n. It's kinda late now. Go to sleep first if you want to. I'm gonna make some arrangements." Ran said.

"Okay." y/n nodded. A thought suddenly struck her.

"What do I wear to sleep?" She asked Ran, who was on his phone.

"Whatever you want." Was his reply.

"There's nothing." She told him.

"There's probably something." Ran told her impatiently."

She nodded, then headed off to brush her teeth. When she finished, she poked around until she found the T-shirt she'd worn yesterday. It wasn't really pyjama material, but it was better than her uniform. She took off her skirt, as if was uncomfortable to sleep in.

y/n went to the room she was starting to refer to as the "bedroom". Shutting the door, laying down the futon and lying down, she closed her eyes and lost herself in her thoughts.

I'm going to live with Ran. He's gonna take care of me. I can cut ties with my family. I can go to uni. I still might die if everything takes a turn for the worst. Ran doesn't love me. Why would he go so far for a "pet"?

Don't overthink.

y/n promptly rolled over and started snoring.

Later, she stirred from her deep sleep. Someone was climbing into the futon with her. Ran wrapped his arm around her waist and she snuggled in, hugging him back. She murmured some indiscernible words, smiled softly, then resumed snoring. She slept better than she had in weeks that night.