013

y/n walked into the kitchen. As Ran had promised, there was a binder on the table. It was filled with documents, a few of which y/n couldn't even understand. She got the gist of it though: documents to buy a house, tax, banking, even house keys,... Ran had done everything. She'd examine the papers more carefully later.

I'll have breakfast, then leave the place. She decided, heading to the fridge.

Suddenly, she remembered; didn't Ran leave her a phone? She hurried back to the binder and looked through the contents. Sure enough, there was a phone inside. It was the latest model smartphone and cost a fortune. Hesitantly, y/n opened the phone. It looked completely normal. The notification center said that she'd received a message from [Ran], sent an hour ago.

[Ran]: Don't answer. This phone doesn't have any hidden cameras or mics, so don't worry.

[Ran]: Carry on with your normal life. After you leave the apartment, forget it exists. You won't be allowed access even if you try to enter.

[Ran]: You never got this text.

y/n chuckled lightly. Trust Ran to not use slang or kaomojis. Not even emojis, for that matter.

Well, gotta have a decent breakfast. She thought.

The made herself some scrambled eggs then sat down. After three days, the apartment had already started to feel like home, she realised. She'd miss it terribly.

She pulled some normal clothes on and put all her clothes and the binder into a suitcase Ran had got her yesterday. She left the liquor, cigs and drugs where they were.

Before she left, she looked around the apartment. She'd felt this way a few nights before, standing at the front door of her and her mom's small flat. Then, she was planning to end her life. Now, she was beginning a new life.

She closed the door and walked quickly, not looking back. For reasons she couldn't comprehend, y/n felt incredibly empty. She felt out of place in the crowded city. After her time with Ran, Tokyo made her feel like she didn't belong. Now, she was leaving the place that had quickly become her salvation.

y/n caught a taxi to the address of the new house. It was an apartment, from the looks of the address. When she got there, she headed to the elevator then navigated her way to the door with the number on the address. She rummaged inside her bag, then looked through the binder for the keys. She opened the door and stepped inside.

This apartment was subsequently nicer than the one she'd just left. The walls were cream and the floor was hardwood. As she went around, she took inventory: one bathroom, one bedroom, a balcony, a fully furnished kitchen,... It was pretty much like the other apartment. There was more furniture though.

In a corner of the bedroom, cardboard boxes were stacked high. Her cardboard boxes. y/n rushed over to them and hurriedly opened them. She sighed with relief when she'd checked that everything was still there. Her photos, her textbooks, the birthday presents her mom had given her,... thank god they were safe.

y/n spent the whole day unpacking and cleaning. Then she went out to buy stuff the apartment lacked: mostly food, but also some cleaning fluids and sundries. She prepared dinner and checked her phone while eating. She made social media accounts, downloaded games and then finally started to settle down.

...

That night, tossing and turning, y/n found it hard to sleep. She slipped the covers off and walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water. Even though it was already very late, the streets were still crowded and bustling with people. The car horns were so loud they could be heard from even the tallest of buildings. The rush of it all excited y/n.

She walked out to the balcony. It was hella cold outside. She stayed where she was though, arms resting on the balcony.

Tomorrow, she would be going back to school. She'd say some family problems came up, then keep her head down for the rest of the year and focus on studies. She'd choose a good school and do her best to get in. Then, she'd be with Ran.

y/n allowed herself to stand on the balcony for a while. When she finally returned to her room, sleep came a lot more easily.