How Long's It Been?

"How long's it been?" I say as I fit my fingers with Meliodas', fearing he'd disappear if I let him go. It just seemed too unlikely and the fact that he'd just appeared out of nowhere doubled my doubts. I'd hate for this to be another dream where I'm forced to think I'd see him again. It's bad enough that I've been cast out by my own kind...

We were sitting by the fountain in the courtyard, Diane and Ban leaving us to catch up. From what I'd caught from them both, they were part of a select group of students who'd all broken a severe school rule in some way. Diane had had a fight with numerous girls, apparently over envy, and Ban had stole a couple things that were important. In total there were seven students and apparently Meliodas was the leader of them all. But that meant a lot of time had to pass since I last saw him.

"I'd say around three years," He chuckled his thumb grazing my knuckles, "But you haven't seemed to have changed much. Though I do remember you with wings."

"I had to hide them," I blushed slightly, "But what about you? Why did you come here? Didn't your father say - "

"I didn't want to live by his rules anymore," Meliodas answered simply, "He crossed a line when I last saw him, so I left."

I froze in shock. Meliodas had just up and left from his home, leaving behind everything he knew just to come here, even when he knew that something terrible could happen to him. That he was vulnerable down here.

"You just left like that?" My eyes were wide. "Meliodas you shouldn't have! You know he's a very powerful man."

"I know, but this was my only chance to see you again," He sighed, as he held my face in one of his hands. I couldn't help but relax into the familiar texture of his calloused hands. They were warm and safe, a contrast to the smooth and cold hands I'd often encountered. "I don't want to forget you Elizabeth."

I'd forgotten how different it was a few years ago. When none of us knew the social workings of relationships or such things. That's probably why we're so close and why people often misread us as a couple: we didn't entirely understand the social norms of interaction.

Tears filled my eyes as a smile and hue of red covered my face. I knew I meant a lot to Meliodas, but to hear that from him made my heart flutter with joy. Even after being gone for years, we still held each other in high regard. I'd always thought that he'd blamed me for what happened, but he seems to be fine. I'm glad of that.

"I...feel the same Meliodas," I wrap him into a hug, which he returns. Maybe now things would be different. Especially since we have both had time to develop down here alone.

However the reunion was interrupted by an expectant cough.

Caught off guard, and possibly from practice, we both sprung apart. I guess spending a hundred years as secret friends, causes someone to get used to acting as if you hate each other. I definitely need to get out of that old habit, I think Meliodas does as well.

"Well, Captain," A senior year stood in front of us. She had short black hair and hazel eyes. With her uniform she wore a navy tie and had her cardigan tied at her waist, her sleeves rolled up and the top few buttons undone on her shirt. "When were you gonna introduce us to your little friend?"

I blinked as my gaze shifted to the six people behind her. The familiar faces of Ban and Diane were in there, mixed with the others. Two had auburn hair, however one had a mustache and wore glasses, while the other had more of a baby face and floated on a pillow. There was also a guy with pink hair and glasses and what appeared to be a pig.

"Yeah, I never knew Cap'n had a girlfriend~" Ban teased.

"Please!" Diane huffed crossing her arms, "They're clearly really good friends. They probably know each other from before Captain came here."