Jumping Out of Windows

"I'm really sorry for yesterday," I say as I walk between the two Holy Knights.

Jericho and Guila weren't in the best mood today. Guila had a broken wrist and quite a few bruises and cuts to her face and Jericho had a leg injury, so she used crutches to get about. 

Both females gave me smiles anyway, saying how none of it was my fault whatsoever. After all, I was just the innocent and friendly princess. To them I was new here and had no idea what mess I was getting involved in by talking to the Sins. So I try to keep up that appearance, while still going to the Sins from time to time.

I frown as I think about two days ago. I had sneaked out to go to the Boar Hat. I'm pretty sure both knights would view me differently if they knew I was doing everything I could to talk to the people they wanted me to avoid. The people who didn't seem a bad as people perceived them to be.

"There's no need for apology Elizabeth," Guila gave me a smile. It was meant to be welcoming, however with the bruises and plasters it looked like something from a nightmare.

Swallowing the fear rising in my chest, I gave her back a shaky smile. Hopefully it wasn't giving away how I really felt or anything. I'd hate to upset the knights any further. After all they have been looking out for me since Veronica's surprise announcement and even tried to seem friendly. It would be unfair of me to make them feel horrible.

"Yeah, that pipsqueak should've known not to be near you," Jericho spoke as she somehow maintained a pace beside me. 

I was honestly shocked that she could use crutches so well, I'd always pictured her as the type to be clumsy when injured. Especially because of her spontaneous and hotheaded nature. However Jericho's probably been injured several times because of it. That would explain her skill whilst using her crutches.

"Diane can be excused because she's your roommate, but that blonde had no excuse," Jericho growled, "It bugs me that he always seems to be near you. I mean what reason could the leader of the Sins have to be around you?"

I nod, taking in Jericho's words as we pass through the hall, people making a path for the two peeved knights.

It was true. Meliodas was always where I was, whether I wanted him to be or not. It was odd, but I understand why. I've always been in danger since I left Celestial Prep, a target to the demons, however for those five years he wasn't there I was left to fend for myself in a way. In fact he was gone for five years because he told me I was safe with my family. Something I never really understood until I came here. 

Both my father and my sisters had striven to make sure I grew up happily. I'd taken it for granted, but once I came here I began to see exactly what they'd sheltered me from.

"I guess it's a mystery we'll never have an answer to," I reply casually as we round a corner.

"Every question has an answer," Guila spoke, "It's just how the world functions."

I just sighed as the two knights continued to express their opinions on the matter. Both agreed that I shouldn't get too buddy buddy with the Sins and that I should only talk to Diane because she is my roommate. 

They also told me not to think of them as friends (again) even though they seemed to have my safety at heart. They told me that the Sins are dangerous and future criminals, probably ending up dead by the time they reach their thirties.

I clench my fists, my nails biting my skin. I really couldn't take this any longer. Picking and choosing between sides and always calculating how I could be as sneaky as possible. It was causing me to go mad with thought, let alone anxiety and guilt. My whole social life felt like it was on a thinly balanced scale and one wrong move would cause the whole thing to tip. Once it tipped everything would be sent flying; white lies and loosely based words being revealed for what they truly are.