Midnight Flight

Sleep was hard to get tonight.

I sighed as I tossed and turned, trying to make myself slip into dreamland, but ultimately failing. I could not sleep. I could not even fool myself into fake sleeping. It wasn't even because I wasn't tired or too hot or cold. I just couldn't slip into the usual calmness of my dreams. Instead thoughts swam in my mind, gradually eating away at my sanity. 

Conflict between my own kind and new friends were the main problem keeping me awake tonight. Whether to trust what I knew, or go with my instincts. Common sense vs what I felt was right.

The Deity Society did tell me they only warned me for my safety, but at the same time they could be trying to brainwash me. However Veronica and the Holy Knights did tell me to avoid the Sins as well. Why would they share the same concerns as the Society? They held no grudge against anyone.

I groan as I turn once again. All of these thoughts were just leading to more thoughts. I needed a way to clear my head.

Sitting up, I brush my hair from my eyes, allowing me to gaze out of my small bedroom window. The night sky was calm, stars dotting the inky canvas with only the moon illuminating it. The sight seemed so serene, welcoming even. I bite my lip.

If I were to go on a short flight would anyone notice? Would anyone look up into the sky to see my four wings illuminated by the pale silver moon? Would it even be wise to make such a choice? Especially when I'm so new to this school and unsure of who to trust.

I chew on my lip. I really shouldn't go out, but at the same time all this thinking is killing me. Flying always helped me think - I'm sure one short flight won't hurt anyone.

Desperation fueling my actions, I get out of bed and slip on a pair of flat shoes. I then tie my hair back with a ribbon, making sure to sweep my bangs from my eyes. I then make my way into the hall, making sure to quietly pass Diane's room.

Diane, Merlin and King were in there. King resting on his pillow and Diane joining him. I'm guessing after making sure he was ok, Diane had fell asleep beside him. The pair cuddled, the brunette wrapping her arms around the small male. It was a rather adorable sight, both being unaware of how they subconsciously interacted. Knowing that Diane had fallen asleep, Merlin had happily taken the brunette's bed, conscious of the fact that it would be much comfier than in the living room with everyone else. I frowned at the thought of how cramped it must be in there.

Ban and Elaine had probably shared the couch, considering how close they were. That left Escanor, Meliodas and Gowther. The three had probably found space somewhere, although it didn't create a very comfortable image in my mind. Cramped bodies and a jumble of limps filled my mind. I furrowed my brows as guilt consumed me.

Here I was sneaking out, when everyone else was probably in discomfort. But then again, the Sins were likely used to it. They did make themselves comfortable while we were waiting outside of the principal's office and that space was definitely smaller than the dorm living room. Plus Merlin had provided sleeping bags knowing that they'd all end up crashing here. I have nothing to feel guilty about right now.

Deciding to focus on getting out, I made my way down the hall. The sounds of snoring filled my ears, followed by a few drowsy words. One voice said something about Merlin, while the other was slurring profanities towards the snoring. I softly laughed at the second voice, probably Ban's. I bet whoever said that wasn't even aware of what they were saying. 

Grabbing my dorm keys from the hook by the door, I silently open the door. I then listen out for any voices asking who that was, or what it was, before stepping over the threshold and pulling the door shut. As soon as the door closed, I shivered. I'd forgotten how cold the night air was. I should've brought a jumper, maybe even a jacket.