Evidence

Walking down the hall, I release a heavy sigh. PE had just ended and somehow I managed to escape from the barrage of questions and making sure I was oks from the Sins and just about everyone else before deciding to head to the cafeteria.

I really needed a break from all of this Society and Commandment stuff. It was just getting out of hand and now things were just - too much, I guess. But then again, the bandage around my head could tell you that. That was a pretty serious injury, even though I was healing quite quickly, thanks to the Society and Druid club members.

Granted I still felt terrible, not to mention what thinking did to my head, and classes were a lot harder to concentrate in now, but I was healing. Thanks to their efforts, I'll be back to normal in a few days time. Maybe sooner if I stop overthinking. But at this rate it's impossible.

"Lady Elizabeth, we need to talk," Ludociel stood before me, blocking my path. His solid form obstructed my view of the hall and I sighed as I halted. Behind him was a face I recognised as Nerobasta, her light pink hair shielding her features. 

Nerobasta often followed Ludociel around, acting as some sort of assistant to him. A shadow. Even back in Celestial Prep I had questioned her reasoning for doing so. At first, it was due to her being his assistant, but pretty soon I began to see the alternative reason. Her alternative reason.

"What about?" I smile, trying to stay polite despite feeling tired of having to be involved in so many secrets and conflicts. 

Is one day of rest too much to ask for? One day? Even the greatest of beings needed at least a day of nothing but relaxation and clearheadedness. So why couldn't I have one? Why couldn't I have just one day to not think about these things?

"I promise not to waste any of your precious time," Ludociel spoke wisely, selecting his words carefully as he looked at me with narrow eyes. He always had them nearly closed because of how they looked when open. "It's just - I have some news about the demons that I thought you would benefit from hearing."

"I'm listening," I say slowly, glancing at him and then his silent assistant. Nerobasta peered back, her face plain, although she tried to offer me a smile. A nice gesture if I knew there wasn't an ulterior motive. After all, Ludociel could have just sent Tarmiel or Sariel to tell me this news, but instead he chose to deliver it himself. Clearly it was important, or even just a scheme to get me on board with their plans - otherwise he wouldn't notify me himself. He wouldn't have the time.

"Well, the Commandments have returned," Ludociel spoke promptly, watching as students walked past. Many of them were too busy to even glance in our direction. "However, judging by your injury you already knew that."

I shivered, my hand automatically going to the bandage around my head. I mask the action by acting as if I were fixing my bangs. My hair was still in the pigtails Diane insisted on, spilling gently yet orderly over my shoulders. A nice change from it being out and loose.

"I'm aware of that," I say softly as I glance away from the two Deity Society members, "Is that all or - "

"There is other news," Nerobasta spoke, her voice clear as she looked at me. She seemed to frown and yet her face was neutral. Her eyes were the only giveaway. "Meliodas isn't who you think he is. He has done noble things for the Celestial schools in the past, but he's slipping."

I frown as I look at the pair, my mind working on what to make of situation. Both students were gifted in manipulation. Deception. They gave false hope to many and knew exactly how to to play people into acting out their plans. That's how they managed to get many on their side in the feud between the schools. How they managed to convince the authorities that it was all the Demon schools' fault and how they had nothing to do with the reputation grabs between the schools and damage costs. They were always seen as innocent. Even when they weren't.