Twins

Elizabeth's (normal P.O.V)

"Are you sure you'll be ok?" Meliodas asks me once more, his concern evident as his gaze settled on my limp and bloody wings.

They were in a really bad state - no, they were completely totaled. I should've just postponed the meeting and went to get them checked, but doing that would only cause more of a fuss. There would be questions and questions lead to concern and concern leads to an investigation... Maybe it would even result in a whole closure of the school. That would inconvenience everyone and most likely postpone a lot of things. Plus my father and sisters would become heavily involved, Veronica most likely taking it upon herself to personally hunt down the culprit. And of course, with my family, the kingdom naturally followed... as well as my mother.

My mother...

It's been years since I've seen her in person. Most of my positive memories of her are faded, dulled by time and instead darkened by the most recent and imprinting ones. Days where I would spend hours in her company, both of us happily getting along with simple tasks, were now replaced with her locking me away in my room. Isolated, alone, cramped. Past echoes of me repeatedly banging on the door, asking to be let out for hours before crying myself to sleep rang in my head as I thought of the person I called mother. The person who brought me into existence.

As much as I like to believe that she cares about me like she used to do, my mother only dotes upon me for the reasons of image and I guess familial link. She doesn't care in the way you'd think a mother would - no, should. The way she's built herself up to be a pious and upstanding woman who runs a prestigious school is only a smokescreen. Behind that hides a woman who is capable of the worst. My last memory of Celestial Prep would tell you that much. About how cold and lonely it was inside of its lavish and 'welcoming' walls.

However, sometimes I like to think that deep down my mother cares for me. Loves me even. But that has never really been proven true and so I'm left to believe. Hope.

"I'll be fine," I shoot Meliodas an uncertain smile, my face straining with the effort. "I can last an hour or two before going to get them checked out. I promise."

"Ok, but call me if anything goes wrong," Meliodas nods, his green eyes softening, and I can't help but grin softly.

"Fine, I will," I roll my eyes, resisting the urge to tease him. Even now, in a bleak situation, he can make me smile. "Now can you stop being so protective and leave?"

Meliodas simply nods and begins to walk off before turning to look at me, "Look after yourself."

I sigh as I look at him, knowing that although I messed up not too long ago I could look after myself. Now he was just rubbing it in. Being smug as always because he was the one to swoop in and rescue me. Again. How many times has Meliodas done this now? At least ten, right? Ok fifty... Fine, I don't know I've lost count! Happy now?

"I'll be fine, now go!" I laugh as he gives me a grin and then disappears from view. His footsteps fade the longer I wait and soon I'm left alone, standing in the hall.

I exhale as I stare at the door in front of me. It was like all the other classroom doors, plain and with a rectangular glass window. It offered a small view as to what was going on inside the classroom, showing tables and the groups of students sitting at them or moving about doing tasks. They all seemed happy, content, like a little community in its own little world. It must be nice being part of something like that...

Deciding to do it before someone spots me watching like a creep, I knock on the door. It opens immediately, causing me to nearly duck out of the way as the door swings on its hinges. It connects with the wall, creating a thunk sound.