The Heavy Weight She Bore (Extra Chapter)

Merlin's P.O.V

1 year after birth

I don't know how, but I always knew that I was different from other children. More gifted. My father was the Chief of Belialuin and I was his daughter, but that wasn't what made me different. I just couldn't describe it. I had a natural knack for learning and obtaining knowledge. I guess it was once I understood words that I knew why I was different. What made me stand out.

"Oh, she is gifted," A council member spoke as I simply did what infants did.

I played with my hands and toes and tried to figure out how to do things: how to walk, how to grab, how to talk; some of these came easily, like second nature, while some were harder. Magic seemed to be one of those things that were easier.

From a young age, I was said to have a large amount of power. A powerful tool to the wizards of Belialuin. They said it was a natural gift, one blessed to them from Chaos itself. But my magic was not just useful to them. No, everyone would want me as soon as the right message traveled down the grapevine.

So as more rumours about me spread, my true identity was kept secret. My real name and age was concealed. 

From the moment I was named a protégée, a beacon of hope, my childhood ended - unfortunately before it had even began.

O.o.O.o.O

3 years after birth

"Why don't you come play with us sometime?" The other children all looked at me, expectant and watching. 

They held a ball between them, most of them covered in mud and grass from playing out all day. Some had already began to learn small spells and had used them, granting giggles and gasps of shared awe. Most children my age were still basking in the innocence of childhood - something I was never granted.

However, I would've been marveled at it too if I were to show them some tricks. I would have been the most popular child of the bunch.

But I was weird.

I didn't play. I didn't go out and see what there was to do like normal children did. Instead I learned and experimented. Knowledge was my playmate and with it and I could do almost anything. No, I would do anything. Everything.

I will figure every question out someday. Especially if it will gain my father's actual attention and approval for once.

"No thanks, I'm really interested in this book," I held a thick tome within my hands, the language something that wasn't taught until we were quite older. I prided myself upon being a glutton for knowledge, my extra reading and practice always delighting my tutors. Sadly, it didn't make me very popular with my peers.

"Whoa, you sure are smart to be reading that," A boy remarked, before wrinkling his nose. "How can you spend all day readin'?"

"I like reading," I answer simply as I return to my book.

The people and knowledge within books seemed to be much more enjoyable than the people within the real world. At least they didn't judge and allowed me to learn about all of the world's questions and answers. To know what it felt like to be normal and not gifted.

A smile creeps onto my face as I think about all the things I'd learned from books. About the worlds I'd been transported to, "It gives me knowledge."

"Well, ok freak," A girl sniffed and the group all plodded off, leaving me to my book.

"Now, your brain is important but so are social skills," My mentor, I believe he was named Gowther, looked at me, their gaze proud but concerned. Pressing his lips, he placed a hand upon my shoulder. "Why not leave that for tomorrow?"