Ditching

I couldn't help but smile as I sat across from Diane, the both of us enjoying a quiet lunch for once. After excitedly taking me to all her favorite places, she'd told me about the best place to grab lunch. 

It was a small cafe with a cozy atmosphere, located on the southern side of the mall. They had all sorts of appealing cakes, meals and treats on offer and I could see why Diane favored it over the others. It was quiet and peaceful. A nice change of pace from the often packed cafeteria we had lunch in daily.

With all of the students rushing in and out of the cafeteria in school, there was always some sort of huge event every day. Whether that was a small fight or full out riot, it always seemed to disturb the atmosphere. Though I don't believe they happen too often. 

However Diane did tell me riots happen more often than I think, with students rebelling from the tiniest things. One of those being uniforms. However I've never witnessed one yet. I've only heard other students whispering about the idea, maybe forming groups that are soon disbanded. Forgotten for a new idea or trend.

"So, any ideas on what to do next?" Diane quirked a brow, a smile on her lips, "We've only got an hour left till we meet the others and I think I've shown you enough for one day."

"Not really," I say, sinking into thought. There wasn't really anything I wanted to do particularly. Coming from a wealthy background meant I'd experienced quite a few things already. 

In fact, I was just glad to finally be free of the Holy Knights' constant watch for a while. I was glad to not be nervous about tripping up or saying something they'd disagree with. Even if they were on the lookout for me as we speak.

"Ok," The brunette shrugged. She tugged her hair absentmindedly. "I guess we can just go to the ice rink for an hour."

"That sounds fun," I smile softly.

Although I'd admit I haven't gone ice skating often, I've enjoyed the times I have. Especially since Margaret and Veronica made it so enjoyable. We used to head there all the time when were younger and Margaret used to show me how to twirl and do poses, while Veronica taught me how to skate backwards and weave between gaps. 

Both of my sisters seemed like polar opposites, however with me they taught me everything they knew. Forming the blend I am today.

Diane and I continued to talk while finishing off lunch. We shared things like our favorite colours and things we do in our spare time, playing a few games like twenty questions. You know, friend stuff. Everything had run smoothly until a new customer came in. Someone I recognised immediately. 

His dark blonde hair styled into a messy quiff and his purple eyes were unmistakable. Unmissable. He was someone I had spent a considerable amount of my childhood with.

"Howzer?" Diane raised a brow as she spotted him, "What is he doing here?"

"He's probably helping Jericho and Guila," I recall the knights' conversation as I sunk further down in my seat. 

I needed to make sure I wasn't spotted, as soon as I stepped back onto campus everything would go back to normal. Maybe it'll be worse. I openly defied Guila and Jericho, it wasn't like I was entirely innocent. I was at fault for this too.

"Makes sense," Diane nodded before passing me a menu. Her eyes remained fixed on Howzer. "Stick your head in there. I'll handle the rest."

"Are you sure?" I ask as I take the menu.

"Yep," Diane nodded.

Howzer was occupied, talking to an employee and the counter. From the responses I could see he was probably describing what I looked like and who I was probably with. I had to quickly duck into the menu as the employee pointed towards Diane and me. Howzer thanked them and soon I heard the familiar sound of footsteps approaching us. I held a breath as I suddenly found the menu much more interesting than it was few moments ago. As if the list of items sold here would help me blend in more.