33. Time of Death

Stella and Steve sat outside the room listening in as Sam led a PTSD meeting as they wrapped up and everyone left Sam joined them.

"Hey, it's the running man and purple storm," Sam quipped, causing Stella to glare at him.

"We caught the last few minutes, pretty intense," Steve said crossing his arms over his chest and gesturing towards the room.

"Yeah, brother, we all got the same problems. Guilt, regret."

"Did you lose someone?" Stella asked.

"My wingman, Riley. Flying a night mission. Standard PJ rescue op, nothing we hadn't done a thousand times before, till RPG knock Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch."

"I'm sorry."

"Me too Sam."

"After that, I had a really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?"

"But now you're happy now, back in the world?"

"Hey, the number of people giving me orders is down to about zero. So, hell, yeah. You thinking about getting out?"

"I don't know. To be honest, I don't know what I would do with myself if I did."

"Ultimate fighting?  It's just a great idea off the top of my head. But seriously, you could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy? Stella, you can join us anytime you want."

"I don't know Sam, I'm not a vet, I've never been in a war."

"Yes you were, maybe not directly but it still affected you. Besides after hearing your story, it might do you some good"

"Maybe. Thanks Sam," Stella gave him a quick hug, and she and Steve left to head back home.

"What was that about?" Steve questioned as they got into the car.

"Nothing, when we had lunch the other day I told him my story."

"Everything?"

"Yep."

"That's a big step Stells, I'm proud of you."

"Yeah, yeah, let's just get home, I'm starving."

***

The pair arrived back home when they ran into Kate once again in the hallway. She walked to the door waiting for Steve watching their interaction. Once they were done Steve looked back at his friend with a blush present on his cheeks and Stella faked a gag.

"What's wrong with that one?"

"I don't know, she doesn't seem trustworthy. I get a bad vibe from her plus, she always gives me the stink eye when I see her. And she's always out here when we are coming home."

"She does live here Stells, You never like anyone I might be interested in."

"None of them have been good enough for you, one of us has to have taste and standards. When one comes along that's right for you I will love her. I promise."

"Hey Steve," Sharon said, peeking around the corner, "I think you left your stereo on."

Steve and Stella shared a look before walking out to the fire escape and going in the window. He grabbed his shield and gave the redhead a small nod signaling her to be prepared.

They rounded the corner and saw Nick sitting in their armchair.

"Nick what the hell you scared the fuck out of us," Stella scolded.

"I don't remember either of us giving you a key" Steve chimed in.

"You really think I'd need one? My wife kicked me out."

"Didn't know you were married."

"There's a lot you don't know about me."

"Yeah, that's the problem Nick." Stella resisted the urge to yell at his friend for being so rude. Steve turned on a light letting them both see the shape he was in. Stella suppressed the urge to run over and check on him, the look he gave her told her to keep quiet and Nick started typing in his phone.

"ears everywhere"

"I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash. "

"SHIELD compromised"

"Who else knows about Maria?" Stella asked.

"Just," me and you two "my friends."

"Is that what we are?" Steve asked.

"That's up to the pair of you," Nick replied as gunshots rang out. Nick was hit several times. Steve pulled Stella down shielding the two of them from bullets.

"Sniper rooftop east," Stella said, helping Steve drag Nick into the cover of their small kitchen.

"Captain Rogers?" Kate's voice came from the front door "I'm Agent 13 of SHIELD Special Service."

"Told you she was a liar."

"Not now Stells," Steve said through clenched teeth.

"I'm assigned to protect you, Captain."

"Oh, what am I chopped liver?"

"On whose orders?" Steve asked as Stella started to look over Nick.

"His."

The agent called in the shooting over the radio and they asked for a location on the shooter.

"Tell him I'm in pursuit." Steve took off and Stella continued to hold pressure where she could. Other agents arrived quickly and Kate told Stella they had it handled.

Steve met back up with her and they rode to the hospital together. Stella was doing her best to hold it all together, Nick was her friend. He was a person that saw promise in her and believed in her.

They were brought into a viewing gallery to watch Nick's surgery. Nat rushed in standing in between Stella and Steve.

"Is he going to make it?"

"They don't know yet," Stella replied, reaching out to hold Nat's hand trying anyway she could to reassure her.

"Tell me about the shooter."

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." Steve replied and Stella squeezed Nat's hand in surprise.

"Ballistics?"

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable," Maria joined the conversation and stepped forward to join the three.