Rotten

I feel so fucking stupid. I walk hastily to my car, under the pouring rain. My heels thump on the wet cement as I reach my car, tears burning the corner of my eyes. How could I have been so stupid, so blind? I go inside, shrugging off my soak coat and throwing my bag on the passenger seat. My cold fingers grip the wheel tightly. I try to calm my raging breath. I glanced at my bag where a thick yellow envelop is sticking out. I bit my lip, refusing to cry or puke. I take a deep breath and start the car. I look up through the window. I could see the dark silhouette on the top of the roof of the building I just come out of. I gulp, trying to ease the lump forming in my throat.

So, that was it? That is how he want things to end?

I look at the silhouette, a sliver of hope at the back of my thoughts. He still has time to run to me. He still has time to stop this. But he doesn't move and I kill that last sliver of hope, drowning it in the pool of dark thoughts. I know that he is only waiting for me to leave. So, I do exactly what he wants as I start to drive away, broken.

***

Living in one of the most shabby part of Gotham wasn't part of my goals but without money there was little I could do to change of flat. I had found a job as a waitress in an Italian restaurant and I tried to save up as much as I could to be able to go to a university. The job paid well for what it was. I wasn't stupid. I knew that a lot of those customers weren't just normal citizens, especially the ones coming in the room at the back of the restaurant. But I was smart enough to not say anything and to turn a blind eye to the Italian mafia business. After all, if I was paid that much it was also to pay for my silence. And my boss was quite nice. He even let me take some left over at home. The regulars were also nice and gave good tips. I knew that it was more likely dirty money but at that moment, money was money for me. I couldn't be difficult.

Every night, as I got ready for bed, I dreamt about the life I will have after university. I'll move out of Gotham and travel and find a good job and everything. I just needed to keep that in mind.

One night, I had to close the restaurant by myself. Usually it was my boss's job but he was attending the wedding of some relatives. It was pretty late so I walked down the dark streets as fast as I could. There were not many people in the streets, some dealers, prostitutes, junkies, runaways and homeless people. I was about to turn in the street of my apartment block when a car stopped next to me. The window of the passenger seat rolled down and I could see two guys, stoned and drunk inside.

"Hey darling, how much for my friend and I?" The one on the passenger seat asked.

I shook my head, tightening my hold on my bag.

"I'm not ..." I tried to say.

"Come on, we'll have fun!" the other exclaimed.

I tried to walk away but the car followed me. I tried to find my keys in my bag but I couldn't find them. My heart was beating too loudly in my chest. The car stopped again and the guy on the passenger seat opened the door. He was about to go out when the car door was harshly closed on his leg. He screamed of pain.

"She made it pretty obvious that she wasn't interested." a voice said next to me.

I gapped in shocked as the car started driving away at full speed. I blinked, trying to process what had happened as Robin stopped in front of me. Of course I knew who Batman and Robin were but I never saw any of them before that night.

"Would you allow me to accompany you to your destination?" he asked.

"I ... uh ... my flat is just around the corner." I stuttered.