Are We Friends ?

"So, are you two friends?"

"Euh?"

"I'm organizing a party Friday night. Here is the invitation card. Do you think he will come?"

I looked at the student in front of me. I bit my lower lip as my fingers brushed the creamy colour card. Not taking it. Yet.

"I don't know." I answered honestly.

The young woman pouted, clicking her painted nails on the wood counter of the library office desk.

"But you two are friends, right?" She asked again. Her eyes felt on my name tag clipped on my blue shirt. "Right, Y/n?"

I cleared my throat.

"I mean , we talked, but we don't know each other that well, I guess. I don't know him very well."

Her eyes widened, mouth gaping, almost comically.

"Are you telling me you didn't know he was Damian Wayne?"she asked shocked.

I frowned, nit liking her tone.

"I'm not stupid. I know he is Damian Wayne. He is a student at Gotham University. It is normal for him to come here because this is the library of Gotham University. And we talk because he is a student looking for books and I, I'm working here. Now, would you like to borrow the book you are holding or not?" I said calmly.

She straightened her posture and gave me the book she had as well as her student card. I quickly did my work, handing her both items.

"Here you go." I said with a smile.

I slid the creamy colour card toward her.

"I think you need to ask him yourself for your party." I explained.

"Oh come on ..." her eyes went to my name tag again, "...Y/N. He always talks with you when he comes here. Ask him next time. I'll be more than please to see you Friday night." She smiled big before turning around and joining her leaving friends.

"Oh, you sure do." I whispered behind my teeth.

I took her invitation card and put it in the little folder in my bag. It's going to join the last three invitation cards I got today.

Yes, what happened right now, was not the first time. I began to work here part time to help my parents pay for my studies at Gotham University. It is a really good University but quite expensive for middle classes. I was able to get a scholarship and a little job at the library and I worked during summers. I didn't mind. It was a nice job here at the library. The only problem was ... Damian Wayne.

Well not him. He was okay. He was nice and came here, asking for books for his classes and his own hobbies. Yes, we talked, mostly about fiction books and authors and our interests for literature. And it seemed that others students found our discussion worthy of interest. I didn't mind our talks. Damian Wayne was clever and friendly. It was always interesting. But I was also doing my job so ... I didn't understand why they thought we were friends.

He was famous but I didn't know him personally. Not that I didn't want to. It just wasn't like this. At best we were acquaintances.

But the other students didn't agree with that. So every day, at least two of them would come to me asking for information about him or inviting me to parties even though they didn't know my name. But they didn't want me there, they wanted him.