I don't miss you pt 2 (end 1)

A month passed. 

We were able to arrest Firefly and The Riddler. During a big fight between the two teams, while we were trying to stop them from destroying a huge building on the west side of Gotham, Harley and Ivy seemed to make amends. It made the Joker retreat. It wasn't good for us per se as he disappeared to plan God knows what. However most of the crimes related to the feud stopped. And small criminals, unrelated to it, laid low, waiting to see if there was any backfire. A fragile peace had settled in the streets of Gotham. 

We were watching too. 

A month, without being able to look at Damian in the eyes. Avoiding him had been simple during that month. There was so much to do. However, it was impossible not to notice his return. 

His voice still made me freeze, as if my brain needed a second to realize that he was indeed back. When I could see him walking in the corner of my eyes, I felt a shiver like I've seen a ghost. After all, it was closed to it. 

But now, as things had calmed down, it was hard not to be in the same room at the same time. Eating together, training, working on some projects related to the Batcave, ... He seemed to be everywhere. 

I was working on a micro GPS chip in the Batcave when I heard his footsteps leading toward my workstation. I tried to focus on my work but my mind was running wild. 

"Y/n"

I bit my tongue, painfully. I didn't want to talk to him, to face him. Not now. I wasn't ready. I didn't feel ready. 

I heard him sigh behind my back.

"Y/n, please, let's talk." he said, almost pleadingly. I hated it. "You can't ignore me forever." 

"You wanna bet?" I spat in-between gritted teeth, feeling the burning sensation inside my heart growing.

"Please Y/n, ignoring me like that, it isn't you." 

I let go of the tools I was holding. They clang loudly on the desk.

"Isn't me? Isn't me?!" I turned my chair around, facing him. "What do you know of me Damian? Fucking nothing!" 

He frowned. "Of course, I know you. And you know me too. You know that I wouldn't have leave like this without a good rea-" 

"Shut up!" I said coldly. "You don't know me. You know the five-year ago me! You knew the woman I was before I saw you die in front of my eyes! What good reason would make you faking your death?!" 

His eyes saddened at my words. I hated being affected by it.

"I can explain, just let me explain."

I crossed my arms, hugging myself protectively. "Alright. Explain." 

He took a step toward me.

"Six years ago, Father found out that the League of Assassins was back. However, he wasn't sure Talia was still alive. We thought her dead but the new activity of the League made us rethink it." He took a breath. "It was hard to keep up with their actions. They were really careful on the tracks they were leaving behind. However, when we found out a lab working on the stabilisation of the Lazarus pit's power ... we had to be sure that she was behind." he sighed. "She had given up on bring me back to her side so there was no point trying to make her believe I was ready to take on the Al Ghul's legacy." 

"So you faked your death." I said, my face carefully blank.

He nodded. "Father planned it. If she was still alive like we thought ... she would show up if she thought I died. And she did show up. On her way back to her new HQ, I was just a step behind her. During the last five years, I had followed her every move. I identified the place of five Lazarus pits all around the world." 

"And?"

"Father wants to take care of their destruction now. But he couldn't leave Gotham in the hand of the Joker and the Italian mafia. So he asked for my help and I came back." 

He cleared his throat.

"By now, the news of Robin being back to Gotham must have reached her, but it's not like she can move the Lazarus pits, can't she." he ended.

The silence surrounded us for a moment, our gaze locked. 

"Say something, please." escaped his lips. 

"And you couldn't tell Kate, Dick and I because ...? You couldn't say anything to me because...?"

He looked down. 

"It had to look real." he almost whispered.

My heart constricted. "Real?" I chocked. "What had to be real? Our grief? Our pain? My tears?!" 

His head snapped toward me at my shout. 

"I know that it was-" 

"You know fucking nothing!" I screamed, tears stinging the corner of my eyes. 

"I had to." he pleaded. "You have to believe me. I wanted to tell you but I couldn't."

"I saw you die." I whispered, whipping my eyes with the back of my hand. 

He took a step toward me, trying to grab my arm but I pushed him away. 

"I SAW YOU DIE!"

He stumbled backward. "I'm so sorry Y/n. You have to believe me. I'm so sorry." 

"I saw you in that hospital bed. I saw your heart stopped on the monitor. I watched your casket being lowered into the ground." I cried. 

He fell to his knees. "Y/n..." 

"I've buried you. I've mourned you. I came to your grave every fucking Sunday for five years." I chocked on my sobs. "You were gone and I was so terrified to forget the sound of your voice, to forget your touch, to forget you..." 

"What can I do? Please Y/n, tell me what I can do to change this." he begged. "I'll do anything Y/n. You know that I lov-". 

"Don't! Don't say it!"

"But it's true. And it had never stopped being true."

Our shaky breaths echoed in the Batcave as we looked at each other. 

"Tell me and I'll do it. Tell me what I can do to fix this."

I looked at him, kneeling at me feet, his green eyes full of despair and maybe of hope.

I shook my head. 

"I've mourned you." I said softly. "I don't know if there is anything that can be done to fix death."

******************************

Might not be the only end possible ^^