I don't miss you pt 2 (end 2)

A month passed.

We were able to arrest Killer Croc and Scarecrow. During a big fight between the two teams, while we were trying to stop them from destroying a huge building on the east side of Gotham, Harley and Ivy seemed to make amends. It made the Joker retreat. It wasn't good for us per se as he disappeared to plan God knows what. However most of the crimes related to the feud stopped. And small criminals, unrelated to it, laid low, waiting to see if there was any backfire. A fragile peace had settled in the streets of Gotham.

We were watching too.

A month, watching Damian moving around me as we planned, trained and fought, acting like he had never left this team, this family.

I tried to avoid him as much as our schedule would permit but I couldn't stop his voice from reaching my ears, I couldn't stop my eyes from slipping toward him. Each time, my heart would burn painfully of hurt and longing.

But now, as things had calmed down, it was hard not to be in the same room at the same time. Eating together, training, working on some projects related to the Batcave, ... He seemed to be everywhere.

I was working on a micro GPS chip in the Batcave when I heard his footsteps leading toward my workstation. I tried to focus on my work but my mind was running wild.

For a month, I had been battling with so many emotions. I didn't know how to act or what to say to him. I was terrified to say the wrong thing that would shatter the precarious bond I still felt between us. But, I didn't know what I wanted from him.

"Y/n?"

My breath got caught into my throat as my name passed through his lips. Memories of his mouth whispering my name into my ears flashed into my head.

I kept working, or at least I tried, my hands shaking slightly.

His steps stopped behind my back.

"Y/n, please, can we talk?" a whisper that slipped painfully into the cracks of my heart. I closed my eyes tightly, begging for my tears to retreat. "Please. I've waited. I've tried to give you space. I've wanted to- I-" he choked on his words. "Let's talk, please."

I buried my face into my hands, the tools clanging loudly on the desk

"What is it to tell?" I articulated with difficulty.

"Let me explain. Let me tell you, how sorry I am for what you had to live, how much pain I was in, being apart from you."

I bit my lip angrily, turning my desk chair around. But I couldn't look at him. My eyes stayed on the ground, my hands clasped on my laps.

"You did this."

"Y/n, I had -"

"You did this! You put yourself into that pain, and you dragged me down in it with you." despair bleeding into my voice.

"I know." sadness coating his words.

"I thought I would never see you again!" I shouted. A tear ran down my cheek.

"I know."

"I saw you die!"

He took an hesitant step toward me. "I'm sorry."

"There was blood and you were hanging over the Gotham river and I ran" my breath got caught into my throat. "And I ran to you. I was so close, so close. But you fell and -"

My body shuddered at the memories. I slipped on the ground and hugged myself, tears rolling freely on my skin. I pressed my forehead on the ground. "We buried an empty casket."