Power Outage

The rain was heavy as I stepped out of the office. My umbrella was doing its job very poorly. I could feel freezing drops sliding in the back of my neck. A car drove past me and threw dirty water on the pavement I was walking on, drenching my pants. I cursed under my breath, watching the driver speed away, well protected inside his - probably warm - car.

I looked around and found a bus shelter, where only a couple was waiting. Folding my umbrella, I took shelter next to them, the sound of the rain drumming against the roof over our head drowning the city noisiness. I took out my phone from my coat's pocket, fingertips already turning numb from the cold. I quickly sent a message to my boyfriend to tell him I was on my way home. Then I put my phone and my hands in my pockets, seeking for some warmth.

It had been raining all day, lightning and thunder shaking the windows of every building of Gotham. The clouds were so dark that it had seemed to be night from the moment I woke up to the moment I walked out of my work place. My apartment was a twenty-five-minute walk from my office, which I enjoyed walking when the weather was not too bad. In the morning, it helped me through the last step for me to be completely awake and I could start planning my day. In the evening, it was a nice way to clear my mind after a long day of work, sometimes making a few detours to get some takeaways or meet some friends. Unfortunately when the weather was at its worst - like at that exact moment - I barely tried to take public transportations because there were no real direct lines. With the paths the metro or the buses were taking, I would have to take three different lines and it would take me more than a hour and half to get to work. So, even through heavy rain or blizzard, I fought my way on the pavement to get home.

That day had to become one of those days, fighting the elements to get home with the images of a warm shower, some comfort food waiting for me in the fridge and maybe - maybe - my boyfriend coming and staying the night, to motivate myself.

I sighed and with my poor-looking umbrella on the verge of being torn by the strong wind, I stepped away from the bus shelter, crossed the street and started my way to my safe heaven a.k.a my small apartment.

Five minutes later, my pants were soaked and were as one with the skin of my legs. The only good thing is that the streets are well lit, I thought.

I hadn't finished that thought that a bright thunderbolt split the sky followed by thunder - so loud that I felt the paved pavement vibrating under my feet.

And everything turned black.

The street lamps, the neon signs of shops, the lights in the buildings, the traffic lights... everything turned off in a second.

I stopped, shielding myself under my umbrella. Already I could hear cars honking and people screaming at each other. I took out my phone to see that the network was down too.

I took a deep breath and started walking again, looking around carefully. The streets were not really busy because of the rain but Gotham was not known for its safe streets. Plus, the risk was to be run over by a car while crossing streets with no traffic lights. However, of what I could see, most drivers had either parked quickly or were driving at a slow pace, their headlights being the only source of light around.

Suddenly, a headlight appeared in the corner of the street, getting closer and closer, until a biker stopped next to me, almost giving me a heart attack.

The biker slided up his visor and my gaze met vibrant green eyes. I let out a sigh.

"What the fuck Damian?! You scared me!" I cried out.

"Sorry darling, it wasn't my intention," he answered. I couldn't see the lower part of his face but I guessed he was smiling.

"What are you doing here?" I finally asked, holding my umbrella tightly as wind blew strongly, bringing icy drops of rain into my face.

"I wasn't far from here and when the power outage happened, I couldn't let you walk home alone," he explained.

My heart warmed up under my freezing skin at his words.

"That's nice, but aren't you needed somewhere else, somewhere more urgent, with your - your other job?"

I had known his vigilante identity from the start. I was friends with Kate Kane for a long time. We even had been roommates at some point, and she hadn't been as good as she thought at hiding her Batwoman's activities. I had met Damian at one of her birthdays. We had gotten along pretty easily.

"I'll be on my way as soon as you are safely in your place," he said. He handed me a helmet. "Put this on. We'll be at your place in less than ten minutes so we have to deal with the rain until then."

I folded my umbrella and put it in my bag. After putting on the helmet, I climbed behind him, my arms instantly wrapping themselves safely around his torso.

"Since when have you owned a bike?" I wondered.

He chuckled. "It's not mine." He started the engine. "Don't tell Dick."

Then he drove away, I closed my eyes, trying to not feel the rain lashing at our bodies. Thankfully for me, Damian's body shielded mine for most part.

When he finally stopped, we were at the front of my building. But the doors were closed. And I couldn't see any one in the hall to open them by hand.

"Right, they work with electricity." I groaned.

"Well, if we can go in from the bottom, we will from the top." Damian said. He drove us into a dark alley and parked the bike there.

"What?" I frowned. I stepped down from the bike. "What do you mean?"

He wrapped an arm around my waist. "Ready?"

"Ready for what? Oh, no, no, no! Damiaaaaaan!" my voice came out as a shrill as we flew toward the roof as I held onto him tightly, my eyes shut.

He had used a grappling iron to propel us to the roof of the building. When my feet finally touched solid ground, I pushed him away from me, angrily but mostly frightened for flying up a building for the first time in my life.

"Don't ever, EVER, do this again!" I screamed.

He had the nerve to laugh as he walked toward the door leading at the top of the building. It was never locked properly. He opened it widely.

"And now, you're home safely," he said proudly.

I walked toward him, and punched his shoulder as I entered the building.

"Thanks but I hate you right now."

I took off the helmet and handed it to him.

"I'm hurt," he answered. I couldn't see his face as he had kept his helmet on but I knew he was holding back his laugh. "I only saved you from waiting under the rain for maybe hours."

I sighed, my clothes were soaked but at least I would be able to change quickly. "Right." I leaned toward him, and kissed the side of his helmet. "Thanks."

"You're welcome."

Suddenly, his phone rang, bringing us back to reality; the power outage.

"Right." Damian said. "The power should be back in a few hours."

"I have many candles and ice cream that will go to waste if I don't eat it now." I laughed.

"Take care. I'll come when everything is under control, alright?"

I nodded and quickly hugged him. His arms wrapped themselves around me tightly.

"I'll be waiting."