I don't miss you

For a second I felt like my mind went out of my body, looking at the room from above, like I wasn't part of the scene happening in front of my eyes. I felt like the sounds couldn't reach me, as if I was drowning into dark waters. I couldn't hear, I couldn't speak, I couldn't move. All I could do was watching my cup of tea shattered on the ground, shards of ceramic flying around my feet, tea dripping on the floor.

"Damian?!"

Kate's voice broke me out of my frozen state.

"Oh my god! Damian it's really you!"

I watched her standing up, walking quickly around the table to hug the man who just entered. I wanted to gulp but my throat was suddenly dried.

Dick stood up as well and hug the man after Kate detached herself from him.

"I'm so glad." I heard him whispered as he closed his arms around him, his voice suspiciously close to tears. Kate didn't try to hide whipping hers.

As Dick let Damian go, emerald green eyes found mine. And suddenly I knew they were all watching me, looking for a reaction, an emotion. I didn't have any to show or to give. My mind was blank, void of anything. It scared me.

I cleared my throat, breaking our meeting gazes to find Bruce's face. As I suspected it, he was already looking at me. He knew, I thought. He knew from the beginning.

Something lit up inside of my heart. A small flame of unidentified feelings. I blinked. The room was completely silenced. That might be why I heard him, quieter than a whisper.

"Y/n."

A voice I hadn't heard in the last five years. A voice I thought I would never hear again. A voice I was terrified to forget.

The flame grew bigger.

Without a word I walked to the table, my shoes crushing the ceramics at my feet, then I sat down.

"I think Bruce was going to talk about the next step of the mission." I finally said. "Better start now."

Kate and Dick sat down, glancing at me and Damian. Alfred who had stayed silent from the beginning, came to the table with cups and a pot of tea.

"Welcome back Master Damian." he said softly before retreating upstairs.

Damian finally sat down. I could feel him watching, like his gaze was digging into my skin. I ignored it. I ignored him.

Bruce stood up and started explaining like nothing happened.

Gotham was on the verge of a civil war. The Italian mafia had made a pact with some of the most dangerous villains; The Riddler, Scarecrow and Poison Ivy. However, The Joker had not taken lightly this change of positions. It was also known that his queen had deep affection for Poison Ivy and felt strongly betrayed. And no one make Harley Quinn unhappy without consequences. The self-proclaimed King and Queen of Gotham had associated themselves with Penguin, Firefly and Killer Croc among others.

At first it had been underground fights. But it had escalated quickly. Gotham police was running around to stop armed robberies, ticking bombs and kidnappings. There were too many civil casualties. The citizens were beginning to take sides and formed groups to defend their streets and neighbourhood. But with lack of real and good informations they often attacked innocent passer-bys.

"The Police forces are overwhelmed by those events, and to be honest, us too. That's why I called for help." he finished, sending a small smile to his son.

When the meeting ended, I stood up quickly and walked out of the room without a single glance. Damian called my name but it only made the flame grew even bigger.

"Give her some time." Bruce said.

"Where have you been all this time?"

Kate's question echoed into my ears as the door closed behind me.

Yes, Damian, since you weren't by my side, where have you been?