One 》Arrival

May 11, 1988

"I don't... want to go.", you said, keeping your voice low. A desperate sigh escaped your lips. "I'll miss you and I- I can't just leave you on your own after what has happened..."

Your firm grip around the handle of your [f/c] suitcase tightened at the thought of simply leaving him and heading home.

If it had been up to you, you would've decided to stay.

But it wasn't.

Your family had decided, that it'd be the best for you and your grandpa if you went back to them. Back to your parents and brothers.

Although you had a different point of view. Your grandfather had just lost the love of his life, your grandmother, and was now going to be left alone. In a house, which was filled with memories of her...

Books, knitted blankets, drawings and pictures.

She always had that stupid, beautiful smile plastered onto her face, emphasizing her wrinkles and showing everybody who'd come near her, that she was as kind as one could be.

Before she died, there was barely something left of her thin, grey hair, but she still managed to pull off her looks.

She was wearing a light brown or light yellow cardigan most of the time, making her appear even kinder.

She really was a pleasure to be around for everyone who passed her way.

She listened if someone needed to get something off of their shoulders, but she could also tell fascinating or funny stories to make one feel better. Being with her was like being with a literal angel.

"It will be alright, kid.", your grandpa responded in his typical slow and deep, but really caring sounding voice. It was a bit scratchy because of the years of smoking since he was a teenager.

His lips formed a thin line, that was now moving to form a small smile. He looked at you through his dark brown, slightly green-ish eyes before he went on, saying: "Remember that, no matter what happens or what you're going through, your grandmother will always be there.
Watching over you."

You started tearing up. You really didn't want to leave, the last two years at your grandparents' house had been the best years in your life and going home after such a long time just felt... wrong.

But you also hadn't seen little Billy and Georgie in a long time, so you missed them more than anything else.

Slowly, you nodded.

You took a quick step forward, hugging your grandpa tightly and letting your tears flow.

He sighed deeply, laying his arms around your quivering body and rubbing his big hand up and down your back to spend you comfort.

He was as rough as always, obviously not intending to hurt you. Even thinking of losing that little comfort he tried to always give to the ones he loved made you gulp.

A sob escaped your lips when you let go of the small man, he was even smaller than you. Around 4'11 to be exact.

A small man, but always comforting and accepting.

"I-", you sniffled, "I guess, I should get going now. I promise, I'll visit you as soon as I can!"

"Sure, now hurry or he's gonna drive off without you.", the old man jokingly told you. A short laugh that was filled with sorrow was your last reply.

Then you turned around and took the first step away from the old house. Looking over you shoulder one last time, you saw him waving goodbye... and so did you.