Twenty-Two 》The Change

"I believe I nee-"

You got interrupted by cheering. And you knew exactly who it belonged to...

•<>•<>•<>•

"Nice girl you got there, Henry!", Patrick applauded, a wide grin on his face.

You tried to avoid any direct eye contact with him. "Didn't know you were going after her too.", he went on, stressing the "too".

Under you, you could feel Henry's body tensing. His face went back to monotone—if not angry. He glared at Patrick, who was occasionally glancing towards you.

"Get the fuck away, Patrick.", the blonde boy growled, pushing you off him gently and taking a few steps forward, leaving only his hips and every lower part in the water.

You wanted to walk with him, but you also wanted to keep avoiding Patrick. Still, you came over to your boyfriend because you felt like you needed to show the other boy that you would definitely choose Henry over him.

And you wanted to show Henry your tolerance. Now, you could just hope that Patrick wouldn't mention the kiss.

Well, it wasn't even a kiss. He gave you a fucking peck on the face, it's not like- Wait!

He just said he was "going after you".
So, he actually thought of you as something other than a disgusting piece of shit and wasn't playing around.

You blushed and looked down, your eyes falling onto your exposed upper body, that was only covered by your soaked bra.

Nothing Patrick hadn't seen already. Just yesterday he had thrown his jacket at you, since you had been dressed in only this.

"Come on, Henry! Sharing is caring. Afraid I might steal your girl or what?", the lanky boy grinned, walking towards the water and looking down at the both of you.

You felt Henry's hand sneaking towards your hand and closing around it.

He shot his best friend a glare while you simply stood there and tried to inconspicuously look at the guy.

But Patrick's gaze met your's as soon as you dared to lay eyes on him. And he winked.

"You already stole her innocents, right? Then let me steal her...", he paused, probably thinking. And then this manipulative asshole said: "Heart."

You nearly choked on your own breath and judging by Henry's reaction, you could say the same about him.

His grip around your hand tightened, making you wince a little before you pulled your hand to your body to make him realize, that he was hurting you.

"Would be pretty, damn hard, since she's already mine. Sorry to disappoint, Pat.", Henry spit in annoyance.

He sounded so stressed, but at the same time... you were sure he'd kill Patrick right here and now if it wasn't for him, being his 'best friend'.

Besides yourself, there was no one as close to him as the dark haired boy in front of the two of you. "Really? A shame, 'cause I would like to caress and kiss her soft and neat skin once more...", Patrick trailed off.

You didn't know what to do.

It felt somehow great to know that not only Henry saw you as someone kissable. Or pretty. Or adorable.

And Patrick was saying this all so openly... it was making you slightly confident in yourself and your looks, especially since he had seen every little stretch mark, curve, body fat and lack of body fat, mole or pimple...

(whatever you guys don't like about yourself although everything of the listed things is beautiful and you shouldn't feel insecure about any of it anyways!)

Henry's pressure on your hand increased once again as he shot you a look of anger.

You were nearly having a break down when you saw his hurt look. You wanted to say something, but the words wouldn't come out, your mouth wouldn't open and your mind was blank.

So, you just shook your head violently, looking at your boyfriend with pleading eyes. He stared back at Patrick, who was looking at you with a grin on his face.

But it was soon gone when he saw Henry's hand flying and crashing down on your face. He slapped you so damn hard, you thought he threw a punch at first.

You cried out in pain and moved away from the spot you had stood in, since you lost all your concentration and balance.

Standing up straight again, you eyed Henry with sad, watering eyes.

You held on to your cheek, but the blonde boy wasn't wasting his time by looking at you. He made his way out of the water and punched his friend right across the face.

Patrick's laughter filled the area as he licked his lips, tasting the blood that was running from his nose.

Henry punched him again, causing his lip to pop. "Patrick!", you yelled without thinking twice.

You didn't know where that worry was coming from.

Maybe it was the fact that you had already seen Henry change, so you believed Patrick's act of a change easier.

Maybe it was him, basically telling you that you were pretty and he'd like to be your boyfriend.

Either way, he seemed to care. Therefore, you didn't want him to get hurt. At least not when he was about to change his horrible, previous behavior.

And you didn't like seeing your boyfriend beat up his best friend.

The two of them should laugh together and talk to each other, not throw punches and start some arguments...

That the argument at hand had erupted because of your fear and incompetence made it only worse for you.

Suddenly, Henry held still and his head snapped towards you. "So you really like this ugly shithead?!", he questioned, his voice booming with aggression and unbelief.

"N-No!", you stuttered. Why would he simply take Patrick's words and twist them. The dark-haired boy had never said, that you had kissed him back.

Nor had he ever said, that you liked him.

"Then why the fuck are you protecting him, you fucking whore?", he yelled, his eyes glossy, but his voice not breaking.

"Because I don't want you to fight! You're best friends, for fuck's sake!", you started shouting back, but mumbling in the end.

You could leave out the part, where you told Henry that you were happy to be found attractive by Patrick.

"Why would you care? He isn't your friend, is he?!", he responded. His last string was nearly ripping apart.

"Because I care for you!", you said, "I don't want you to loose your friend over some lousy disagreement or argument!"

"You call that lousy? So it's not important to you that he accuses you of cheating?!"

"He said he touched my skin, not the other way around! I'd never cheat on you."

You looked at Patrick, who was standing there annoyed by your conversation. He held his hand underneath his nose as he rolled his eyes.

"Fucking seems like you did!", your boyfriend yelled back before punching Patrick into his stomach one last time and leaving.

"Henry..."

Your jaw hung open and your eyes were wide.

What just happened?

Was this the end of your relationship?