Chapter 14: spa

I hissed when I felt the needle poke my skin, I saw the dark red blood come out and move through it to a tube.

"And we're done", Nancy the pack doctor said after taking the needle out.

"When can I get the results?", I asked.

"I think tomorrow or the day after it, don't worry I will tell you when I get them", she answered sweetly.

She gave me a cup of water and sat next to me.

"Can I ask you a question luna?".

"Of course", I nodded my head.

"Are you okay?"

I stared at her blankly not knowing what to respond.

"I'm sorry to intrude but sometimes meeting your mate can be quite difficult, it's not always fun and bubbly, especially if you or your mate is resisting the bond, I can see that the alpha hasn't marked you yet, I went through something similar the day I met my mate, I was scared of our bond so I kept resisting it and didn't let him mark me or even get close to me until we both fell sick In bed ".

"You got sick ?", I asked with wide eyes.

"Yes, it can even cause death in extreme cases ".

"So what did you do?".

"I forced myself to be brave and agreed to hang out with him for at least an hour every day, after a few days one hour was not enough and I wanted to be around him more until I couldn't leave his side", she said smiling," building trust takes time and effort from both of you, you can't resist the bond forever, at one point you have to give up or it can cause serious damage to both of you".

"But he...", I paused, " I don't think I should tell you this, but Martin-".

"Doesn't want a mate", she uttered surprising me, " I know that, I don't know why but I know he feared the day he would find his mate".

"Did he tell you?".

"A couple of years ago a few months after his dad died he knocked on my door at three in the morning and asked me to stay the night because he doesn't want to go to the castle anymore, he was so drunk he couldn't even stand, of course, I took him in, made him drink some water and helped him get in bed, right as I was leaving the room he told me to stay because he was scared, I was confused because he was seventeen and our freaking Alpha", she smiled sadly.

"I sat on the bed next to him, and he told me that he doesn't think he can be our alpha, that he can't even take care of himself how was he supposed to care for a whole pack, he was in so much pain yet not one tear dropped from his eyes ever since his dad died because he hasn't found the time to do so, the stress of ruling the pack and taking care of his family that was broken was suffocating him, nobody even asked him if he was okay, they just ignored that his whole life changed dramatically and relayed on him to rule the pack and fix everything, he was struggling and nobody saw that until one day he became professional at hiding his pain and ignorance became a part of him".

I felt my heart ache for him and all I wanted to do was hug him and soothe him.

"He said that it was all because of this mate thing, that it ruined his life, and that if he ever meets his mate he will reject her and even kill her".

I wrapped my arms around myself as I felt sad for him, for us.

"So yes I know that he doesn't want you, but I also know that he has a golden heart that's full of compassion and sympathy, he is one of the kindest people I have ever met, and in the end, he will accept the bond, he wouldn't be able to stay rigid with you, his heart won't let him".