32: Not As It Seems

Team 7 reached the second floor to an all-too-familiar spectacle.

The Forever-Chūnin Gatekeepers of Konohagakure was their nickname -- it would have been stranger if more genin from Konoha fell for this first trick. It was a well-hidden advantage that the Hokage had included in the Exams for the new generation of shinobi from his village. Well, it it was not like this instance of favour helped them pass the second stage anyway.

Kotetsu mocked, his voice disguised to sound like a teenager's, "Ha! Did you plan to take the Chūnin Exams with just that much?"

"You should just quit now," Izumo added helpfully, looking so smug that some genin seemed to visibly restrain themselves from going up to sock him in the jaw.

Surprisingly, despite their delay, the trio managed to arrive in time to catch this scene happening right before their eyes.

"I know you're compassionate and kind, but at times like these, you should just walk past them," Sakura reminded lowly.

Sasuke's eye twitched as he muttered in disbelief, "Me? Compassionate and kind?"

"Yeah, Sakura-chan is right -ttebayo! You are always too nice, wanting to help others while gaining nothing in return," Naruto agreed loudly.

It was Sakura's turn to feel her eye twitching in irritation.

"Naruto! Are you trying to attract attention to us?" she hissed in disbelief.

Sakura looked up and realised, in dread, that the genin gathered before Room 201 were now staring at them instead of focusing on the commotion between the self-instated door gods and Team Gai.

Even the stoic Neji was looking over curiously (presumably -- his face was unreadable as ever).

Their real twelve-year-old selves did not realise that they were being presumptuous by ruining a preliminary test that was included under the orders of the Hokage himself, but they were not the naïve children of that time anymore. There was no reason for Sasuke to call unnecessary attention to themselves out of some sort of misplaced goodwill. She did not expect Naruto, of all people, to ruin it by so blatantly declaring it before the crowd that they were pitying them.

"We have to attract aggro for Orochimaru to feel comfortable acting out in the Forest of Death. Can't you see him right there? He... I mean she is the woman with the black sheet-like hair."

Sasuke did not look up since it would arouse suspicion from the Snake Sannin but a mental image of Orochimaru seen through the Rinne Tenseigan promptly arrived, flooding his mind through their telepathic connection.

"I forgot. It's been so long since I've seen him in that body. He takes on so many appearances, it's hard to keep track of all of them."

"Let us pass. We're going to the third floor and you lot are blocking the way," Sasuke arrogantly announced.

The drama was interrupted partway -- only Lee was on the ground as Tenten did not have the opportunity to say her part yet.

"So you noticed..." Izumo said, clicking his tongue.

Sakura did not wait for Sasuke to mention her supposed genjutsu know-how (it was far too embarrassing considering the three of them knew how unrealistic the illusions she cast were).

"Of course. Because this is the second floor," Sakura answered with a sweet smile that Naruto and Sasuke knew spelt danger to its recipient. "So, if you would, please get out of our way."

"That's right!" Naruto chimed in.

"I'm not in a good mood," Sakura informed, "so I do hope you will stop wasting our time."