18: Covert Missions (Shh, Don't Tell 'Suke!)

Naruto put away the Uchiha clones in a pocket dimension while adding another DNA sample to each capsule. There was a thousand capsules and only about one hundred of them already had Uchiha clones in them, so it did not take all that long to collect his Uchiha dummies and leave the rest of his DNA samples with his shadow clones.

It was as Naruto was checking on Obito (who was developing much slower than the Uchiha dummies because Naruto needed his body for a more important reason) that Mugetsu spoke, "How can you be so nonchalant about this? As a matter-of-fact, it would not be strange at all if you started panicking. At least, you should've asked what I meant by what I said."

Noticing the Jūbi's disbelief, Naruto chuckled.

"How could I not already know what happened back there? That egg, whatever it was, changed me. What is there to be confused about? Even if I do not care all that much about my status as a human, am I still supposed to react excessively to the extent of panic? The answer is that I did not feel particularly shocked by the fact that an unusual thing had happened with that egg over there. As for whether or not I'm human, I do not think it matters that much," Naruto explained with a shrug as he gestured at the egg that sat at one corner of the lab on a cushion that had been designed to keep the egg nourished with chakra (because Naruto was not entirely sure what exactly would mean for the egg that had exhausted its own chakra reserves by giving it to him).

Mugetsu made another sound of incredulity, but did not seem to have any intention of arguing any further.

"Do you have any clue what kind of egg this is?" Naruto asked.

The egg was black with dancing gold flame-like patterns on its surface. It had been massive, so large that it was almost as tall as himself and wide enough that even three clones standing astride could only barely encircle it with their arms. However, that was only how it was like when Naruto first found it. Though it had been majestic and filled with strength that knew no bounds and transcended space and time, it had shrunk significantly. It was much smaller now, a size which could be cradled in his arms, and the egg, though still beautiful, no longer demanded awe and respect. Feeling strangely attached to the egg, almost like what a parent would feel for their child, Naruto had not been able to leave it behind.

"Perhaps it might be a mythical creature at the pinnacle of its kind. A future boss summons at the time before it has hatched or grown. It might be something else, though. I am not sure if even a future boss summons would have such intense power even as an egg. However, there was an unmistakable aura emanating from it. The creature within that egg is undoubtedly a future 'king'," Mugetsu informed him, sounding thoughtful.

"You might have just found yourself quite the interesting thing," Kurama spoke up. "That egg you have there will hatch something that is, at the bare minimum, on the same level as us bijū and, if I'm not wrong, might even grow to be as strong as number ten over there. Raise it well."

Naruto felt shocked at this seemingly absurd claim.

"A random egg that I found abandoned in the ancient ruins of a forgotten civilisation just so happened to belong to some powerful being at the peak of mythical creatures? What ridiculous sort of plot is this? This sounds quite dangerous if I must say so myself. Isn't it suspicious? What if it ends up being hostile if and when it finally hatches and causes the end of the world again? Our Mugetsu here had gone crazy and let others control him to do that the last time around," he asked dubiously.

"Why would it? That part where it gave you its chakra was practically it naming you its lifelong companion. It would be your partner and might even listen to your commands. Either way, that young one can only be an ally," Matatabi piped up.