44: Time in Parallel

"Hmm..."

He tilted a large diamond the size of a fist, allowing the cold muted light of his pocket dimension to refract through the object in his hand.

"Useless," Naruto muttered, tossing it back without another glance into a growing mound of junk behind him.

"The phoenixes appreciate little trinkets like that," Mugetsu remarked within his mindscape, calmly watching his jinchūriki discarding of various treasures that civilians and shinobi alike will covet.

"It's just a sparkly rock. The only good part about it is that it's hard. It's too brittle to make good weapons with. I can't even carve seals on it without the dumb thing shattering," Naruto scoffed, but nonetheless retrieved it from the junk pile.

He placed it in a box filled with equally meaningless items that he planned to give away.

Since Naruto first summoned a few underlings of the ten bijū he housed, those little critters have been visiting him with all manners of expensive trash that he had absolutely no use for. Naruto regretted allowing his heart to soften -- he should never have taken that conch from the dolphin that swam all the way from an ocean on the other end of the planet to the river bisecting Konohagakure to find him. The existence of a precedence where he accepted the gifts of the bijū's underlings meant that the rest came in droves just to give him stuff he did not even need. Some things, such as sweet berries from some remote mountain no human has stepped foot upon in a century, he did not mind so much. Others, such as the sparkly rocks scattered around his Inventory, he considered worthless junk -- they cluttered the space of his pocket dimension and hindered him from finding stuff when he needed them. 

He was this close to opening up another pocket dimension to dump all of these things and forgetting about them.

"You should just summon all of the mythical clans that you've contracted with. Just get them to line up and take their pick with the rule that each individual can only take one," proposed Matatabi.

"Then you'd only have to sort through them to make sure you're not throwing away something you might need later!" Chōmei chimed in.

He nodded slowly.

"That works."

As such, he summoned a few dozen shadow clones and left them to the task of sorting through the presents Naruto had received over the past few months.

Half a day later, he expended an ungodly amount of chakra to summon every single creature belonging to the Phoenix, Kirin, Komaiuni, Hakujya and Yatagarasu clans. As an afterthought, Naruto also called on Inari -- lest the fox deity cried foul about favouritism or whatnot. It was certainly plausible considering how similar he was to Kurama.

"These are my gifts to all of you to thank you for taking in my comrades. Each of you may take one item from here before leaving," Naruto instructed. "Please queue up and receive your presents in order."

Inari, in the form of an elderly man, stroked his beard, inquiring smilingly, "Why, is the twenty-fifth of December a special day in the mortal realm?"

Naruto grinned, fibbing, "It's a day of peace and harmony. We exchange presents with each other on this day. It's a holiday I call 'Christmas'."

Little did he know, this little white lie would be blown out of proportion eventually to become a real holiday held sacred by the clans present and the humans who revered them -- but that was set in a distant future that Naruto did not dare to imagine yet.

Yvonne bit her lip. "I'm afraid I do not have anything worthy of Naruto-sama on me now."

Naruto chuckled, "I don't mind. How about you give me a better gift on Christmas Day next year?"