39: Making Rounds

"My dear spy, what's up?" Naruto chirped as he appeared next to Sasuke in a Hiraishin.

Sasuke, sprawled on a daybed that might have been a window seat if Orochimaru's lab were not underground, turned to look at his visitor.

"Hokage-sama, aren't you a little too free if you're coming to see me in a little over a month?" Sasuke drawled, taking a tomato from a storage seal to munch on.

"I came to check on what is happening on your end," Naruto replied crisply, scrutinising Sasuke's rooms with a keen eye.

Sasuke suspiciously averted his gaze when Naruto turned to look at him.

"There are no surveillance cameras in your living space, but there's a few at your door. It's Kabuto's handiwork. No traces of Orochimaru in those," stated Naruto.

Sasuke made a mental note not to step out of his room with tomato in hand.

It would be devastating if Kabuto were to discover his sole greatest weakness.

"So, 'Suke, what have you accomplished thus far?" Naruto inquired, picking up a chokutō from a weapons display rack -- the replica of the Kusanagi no Tsurugi in Sasuke's possession during the previous timeline.

He found the quality of this blade barely passable.

"I'm still using the one you made for me," Sasuke told him, not-so-subtly trying to steer the topic away from his activities as of late.

Naruto returned the sword to its display and glanced at Sasuke, unimpressed.

"Stop acting like a kid, 'Suke. Don't avoid the question. What did you do? Why are you looking so guilty?" Naruto prodded, pitiless.

Sasuke was standing now, and he scuffed his slipper against the tatami like a kid who was caught red-handed.

Naruto patiently waited, tossing out, "I'll call 'Kura over if you refuse to cooperate and spit it out."

Sasuke's switch was immediately flipped, and his attitude instantly turned into one of professionalism.

He knelt in the standard salute to the Hokage.

"I laid low until Orochimaru lowered his guard against me and Kabuto stopped eyeing me. Afterwards, I... obstructed all of Orochimaru's plans. I have hindered every one of the evil plots that the Snake Sannin has hatched up thus far. Orochimaru would never realise it's me, but Kabuto is getting suspicious. I think I am at risk of compromising my position," Sasuke reported dutifully, head down to show that he felt contrite.

Naruto sighed. "Kabuto shouldn't be an enemy to you even if he discovers your opposition to Orochimaru. He won't sell you out. He might even support you for the sake of overthrowing his owner. He is more of a snake than Orochimaru, so be careful when interacting with him. If it makes you feel better, continue to do what you're doing. Thwart as many of Pedomaru's plans as you want."

"You let an unsavoury nickname slip out, Naruto-sama," Isobu informed him considerately.

"Orochimaru's nickname has evolved again!" exclaimed Chōmei.

Ignoring his bijūs' comments, Naruto continued talking business, "I remember there's an Uzumaki who should have been kept in Pedomaru's lab around this time?"

"That would be Karin. Her chakra has a unique healing property that allows her to rejuvenate anyone she gives it to. Her only limitation is that someone will need to bite her to suck her chakra," revealed Sasuke, who was familiar with this kunoichi and even added her to his Team Hebi during the previous timeline.