23: The Other Eye

Kakashi dragged himself into his apartment.

"Tadaima," he muttered into his eternally empty home.

He was exhausted after the Bell Test with Team Seven.

There was no way he could have anticipated an entire team of geniuses with skills that he could not even guess at. Though he did guess that the blond had been hiding his true capabilities, this was not to the extent where he would think any genin will be able to overpower a jōnin. Besides Naruto, there had been no hints that the others had such ability when they were still attending the academy.

Even for Naruto, it was due to his own previous experiences with the blond. They had trained together briefly, after all. His services had been requested early on, however, so it had indeed been a long time since they last met each other.

As soon as he closed his door, Kakashi realised that a redhead was lounging on his couch.

He recognised this person instantly.

How could he not?

"Sōjirō-san...?" Kakashi said, unsurely.

The person was sprawled over a midnight-blue couch, his fox mask fallen off and resting on the cushions by his head. He had gone to lengths to disarm himself - his favourite crimson-and-gold-hilted katana was leaned against the couch and sheathed in dark brown leather while his fūinjutsu and weapons pouches laid discarded on the coffee table. He donned the classic ANBU gear, albeit with various high-end additional fūinjutsu items equipped as well. His trademark scarlet hair had grown out since his arrival in Konohagakure and was now tied back in a messy ponytail.

Kakashi recognised the book that the intruder was reading as his journal. He had written in it ever since his sensei had given it to him. It was an extremely personal thing, one enclosing all the feelings he had felt through the years. This included his guilt, joy, rage and much more. Its cover was typically sealed shut with a fūinjutsu matrix, but this was not nearly enough to keep Naruto out.

Instead of fury, which typically surged when his journal was discovered by others, Kakashi only felt embarrassed. There were countless village secrets in there, but none that Sōjirō would not know of. Honestly, Sōjirō's information clearance level was higher than Kakashi's. Usually, he will be angered whenever someone found it. Every time, he will scowl at them and snatch it away despite their confusion.

Yet when it came to this kōhai, Hatake Kakashi merely felt flustered.

"Okaerinasai, Kakashi-senpai," greeted Naruto, currently in the form of Takamatsu Sōjirō.

Kakashi turned around and activated a remarkably well-hidden concealment array that not even Naruto would have noticed if not for his Tenseigan.

It was unorthodox and tricky. The skill of the one who had set it up was apparent in the quality and uniqueness of the fūinjutsu techniques used. Even Naruto, a genius in fūinjutsu, could not help but feel amazed by this detailed work.

"You never mentioned that you were so well-versed in fūinjutsu," Naruto remarked offhandedly.

Kakashi made a complicated expression.

Despite that, he admitted with a sigh, "I formulated these matrices myself. All the arrays in my home have been set up by me. However, my skill is insignificant in comparison with yours. I only know the basics."

Naruto knew that Kakashi was severely understating his abilities.

"You have passed the tier of a level seven Uzumaki Seal Master, a feat in and of itself. You are an expert in fūinjutsu, senpai," the disguised blond praised.