《32》

Eros let out a breath through his nose as he grabbed his keys from the kitchen counter and stuffed a pen in his pocket

Eros let out a breath through his nose as he grabbed his keys from the kitchen counter and stuffed a pen in his pocket. He turned and gave his empty dorm room a quick scan, hesitating on the bedroom where Ashley's bed remained nothing but a lone, black mattress. He clenched his jaw and made his way out the door into the hallway. He locked the door with his key and made his way towards the exam hall, dreading every minute of it. 

He lowered his gaze at his watch and nearly turned about and went back to sleep. He had a whole two hours to spare before the test begun. He might as well make his way to the library and go through his notes again, having them saved in his Google Drive. Even though he was in his last semester before he graduates and gets his PhD, Eros was still not used to the dread and pressure that came with exams. He wasn't really concerned with keeping his Elite position—never was—but he was worried about failing and having to retake whatever course he did. It had happened to him at least five times in the now four years of his University days.

The library was unsurprisingly packed with students revising for their finals. At first he had been shocked to see that people actually cared about their grades, having witnessed the transition from his mother being in charge to Gregor eventually replacing her with his tyranny. Before he took over, the grounds were randomly selected by Evelyn herself. She held a whole parade for it and pulled names from a large glass bowl until all seats were taken. Everyone else would then remain in the Novice Grounds until the next graduation when seats would be available. Eros himself never made the cut, because he never signed up for the slot. The odds were just never enough to convince him to.

He picked an empty seat next to a random guy he's seen around campus a lot and tried not to spook him. He knew that if he did then the guy would leave and there were barely any more vacant seats. Exams were important, and he wasn't about to be the reason someone failed. Turning on the provided laptop in front of him, he took another quick scan around the enormous library and pursed his lips. Everyone had their heads buried in reading materials, their laptops, and some were busy discussing among themselves. There was the occasional last minuters that were running all over the place, frantically picking up heaps of books—some even going as far as to write on their thighs and forearms in hopes of cheating their way through. 

Eros knew that the invigilators wouldn't really care and let them do whatever they want, but once the lecturer realizes what they wrote would be the same as the their notes, it would be the end of them; that is of course, if they care enough to call them out for cheating. Another gamble Eros wasn't willing to take. He turned back to his laptop and went through his material, understanding it the best he could. He was a Business major, so he regretfully had a lot to learn and remember, maybe too much to cover in the extra hours he had. The man next to him eventually noticed that he wasn't alone. Eros saw him look up at him from the corner of his eyes. The man looked shocked to see him there as he gave him a look, slumped his shoulders and watched him for a couple more beats.

Eventually, he turned back to his notes, pushed the pencil in his hand behind his ear and scratched his clean cut head. Eros waited for him to get up, but when he made no sure movement, he assumed he realized that he was here for the exact same reason. Eros' shoulders slumped in relief and he went back to his notes; reading them as if he was reading a novel. A curious woman intentionally walked past him for that very same hypothesis and snuck a glance at his screen. Eros knew what she was up to only when she walked past him again and went back to her seat; whispering to what he assumed were her friends. They threw glances his way before going back to their own studying.