Chapter 1

Catherine POV

I feel the bed bounce and instantly assume it's Zak and start screaming.

"No! Stop!" I hear Cassidy and Cody and instantly come down from my grogginess and open my eyes.

" Mom has Zak started hitting you again?" asks Cody and it hits me as I remember my throbbing cheek.

" No baby I just tripped and fell which lead to me accidently hitting myself"

I say and internally wince at my pathetic attempt at an excuse hoping they believe me and feeling a tug in my heart probably from the conviction of the holy spirit but I ignore it.

"Mom... I do not believe you but I will let it go for your sake" Cody says.

I sigh in relief.

"How was your day?" I ask desperately trying to move the attention from myself.

Thankfully it works and Cassidy tells me all about how she met a new friend online and for once I felt at peace.

No Zak, No work, No bruises besides the one I have, just me and my kids.

Dinnertime was fast approaching so I had to say goodbye to my kids and get to work on making dinner.

I quickly made some lasagna with a side of some mac 'n' cheese.

" Zak! Cassidy! Cody! Dinner's ready!"

In under 30 minutes everything dissapeared but I did not get the acknowledgment I craved from Zak.

H

e just up and left. It hurt pretty badly but what could I do? I love him even through everything. People may call me stupid but they don't understand. No one ever does. Does God understand?

****

Everything's been perfect these past few days. Zak apologised and prepared a Candlelight dinner tonight.

He hasn't hit me in 6 days which is a personal record. He tells me he loves me every second and it makes me feel so special. He hangs out with Cassidy and Cody more.

I'm brought out of my thoughts when Cody approaches me.

"Mom, can we talk?"

"Of course any time. Let's talk in my room"

I say and guide him to the room. We enter and he immediately starts.

" Mom, what Zak is doing. It's all fake. He just wants you to trust him so you don't report hi-"

" Cody!?! How dare you speak of your father that way?! For once your father is trying to make an effort to change and what do you do!!? You go and degrade him!!"

" Mom! You don't understand! You are blinded by your love that you don't see what's in front of you!! He is obsessed with you!!"

Furious I slap Cody and when I realise what I've done he utters three words that completely breaks me.

"I. hate. You!!!!!!"