Chapter Seven

Saturday I awoke feeling average.
Too many drinks and too much energised actions last night, that's for sure.
I was entirely thankful I hadn't mixed my drinks because I was quite positive that would have left me feeling even worse.
I crawled out of my boring little bed and made my way to the shower, hoping that would clear away the cobwebs.
My feet ached and my head felt thick, certainly not a pleasant feeling I cared to repeat.
The steam and hot water helped to relax me as I remembered back through the night and early hours of the morning.
- flashback -
Eventually it was my turn to buy a round.
I wasn't looking forward to it, they certainly were expensive and I wasn't on much of a pay check.
The bar tender I got was one of the owners, nineteen year old Tristan Western.
"I'll tell ya what!"
He leaned across the bar so I could hear him better above the loud chatter of the other patrons and the blaring music.
"What?!"
I shouted above the loud atmosphere.
"I'll let ya have this one if ya promise to not let Blayze break any of our furniture!"
I couldn't help but laugh.
"Deal!"
I extended my hand across the bar.
He pumped my hand.
Now Blayze, be on your best damn behaviour boy!
- end flashback -

I made my way out into the farm yard in some worn jeans with rips in the knees, my everyday boots and a casual Wrangler t-shirt.
It was by now late morning, nearly lunchtime.
Damn it's less than two days and I have to start that hectic working week again!
The purr of a Diesel engine made me turn to look toward our farm's entrance.
Blayze's Ford Ranger was cruising into the yard, horse float hooked up.
Where's he been to?
I walked to meet him when he finally stopped the car near the shed's and not far from the horse yards.
It would have to be Blayze, because nobody else drives his car.
He doesn't let them.
Sure enough, the devil himself climbed out.
Azlan and Zeus sat in the tray, tails wagging.
"Afternoon."
Blayze greeted, his black Akubra shadowing most of his face.
I rolled my eyes.
"You know damn well that it's morning!"
Since I was a kid, unless I'd been sick, I hadn't been allowed to sleep to anywhere beyond mid morning.
Blayze chuckled at me and unclipped his dogs.
Both dogs bounded over to me and offered me kisses and wagging tails.
"Hey good boys."
I patted the pair in greeting.
They then jumped out of the Ute and cruised off to find places to go to the toilet, obviously having to have held their bladder's for some time.
I turned back to talk to Blayze, but he was gone.
I heard clunking noises at the back of the float and made my way back there to find Blayze undoing bolts and levers.
"Where'd you get to?"
I asked and moved to one side to help.
"Sales. Picked up a couple horses."
He explained.
My heart sank a little.
He hadn't invited me.
"What do you need more horses for?"
"I don't."
Together we eased the ramp down.
"So what're they for then?"
I asked as I peered into the float.
There was a black horse and a brown, standing munching hay.
"The black's Allan and the brown's Norton."
Blayze told me.
"Both four year old Stock Horses."
I turned to face him.
"It still doesn't make sense."
Why the heck would he want a couple horses from the sales?
We have plenty of horses around here and he has three of his own that are purebred champion Quarter Horses!
He grinned.
"I brought 'em for two hundred bucks each!"
To me, that explained nothing.
"You don't buy stuff just coz it's cheap!"
I felt my eyes widen.
Blayze was your typical practical cowboy.
If he needed it, he got it.
If he didn't need it or use it, he passed it on.
"So I'll train 'em up and sell 'em off. I'll make at the very least five hundred bucks on 'em each!"
I shook my head.
This cowboy must have lost his marbles when he went away to Rodeo in the States.
"You gonna help me unload 'em or what?"
He asked, raising a questioning eyebrow.
I placed my hands on my hips and looked him straight in the face.
"You've lost your marbles you know that right?"
He shrugged.
"If I don't make money I'll deal with it. I've done it before and it's worked."
I shook my head.
There was no use trying to tell him.
We moved the bum bars aside and slowly backed the horses out.
Admittedly they both surprised me, stepping out slowly and calmly.
Don't tell me they're drugged!
I looked to Blayze, snagging the Black horse's lead rope before/incase he spooked and found himself running around a property he doesn't know.
Blayze shrugged.
We led the pair into side by side yards and filled up their water buckets and hay cradles.
"I'll worm 'em tomorrow and give their feet a once over."
Blayze told me as we stood watching the happily eating horses.
I leaned over the fence to get a better look at the black horse's hooves.
"They don't look too bad."
"No, but I'll give 'em a once over before I start workin' 'em."
I turned to Blayze.
"So they're four year olds?"
He nodded.
"The background they came with was four, Allan is fifteen two, Norton fifteen one and both have been handled and saddled but not ridden."
Yay.
"Guess you're gonna have your work cut out for ya."
He shrugged.
"It's not like it's anythin' new."
True that.
He bring's pretty much every one of our horses into their working life.