Chapter Sixty-Four

It was Monday the twenty third of May and I was now eleven weeks along.
Walking back from the bathroom at 6:20AM, I was definitely hoping that I got through the last week of my 'first trimester' safely and was one of the lucky women who stopped being sick.
My body is getting too tired from waking up several times in the morning to hug the toilet bowl and empty the contents of my stomach.
Today was to be interesting.
Last week I got notification from Doctor Legend that it would be advised I get a check-up scan done this week.
Mum rang Doctor Glenn for me and Doctor Legend was happy for me to see our local Doctor and e-mail him the report for how things were going.
But to see Doctor Glenn I'd have to travel for almost two hours anyway.
My body sang with nerves as I organised myself some clothes for the day.
Today, Mum was leaving it to Blayze to accompany me to the scan and check-up.
It would be the first time Blayze and I approached the Doctor together.
It would also be the first time we viewed a scan together, of our baby.
Doctor Glen said he could see me from eleven AM, so Blayze planned for us to help with the morning chores and Grandpa had given us the go ahead to head on into town after the morning chores were done.
I grabbed a clean pair of jeans, threw them onto my bed and grabbed a simple dark blue Wrangler t-shirt that soon joined the jeans on my bed.
Next I grabbed clean underwear, bra and socks then crossed to my bed to strip out of my pyjamas and get dressed.
Everything worked, until I pulled on my jeans.
I got them up my legs and around my bum and hips.
But I couldn't get the zipper all the way up and I definitely couldn't get the button done.
What the hell?
I stared at my undone jeans, bewildered.
Shaking my head, I crossed back to my drawers and snagged another pair of jeans.
Guess this pair just don't fit me anymore.
I dropped the light blue jeans to the floor, stepped out of them and stepped into the legs of the dark blue jeans.
But I struck the same problem with doing them up.
Have I put on weight?
What the hell is going on?
I chewed on my lower lip and shimmied back out of the jeans.
I checked the tags on both pairs of jeans.
Size eight.
That's my normal size.
Then I guess you've put on weight or muscle or something...
They say muscle weighs more than fat right?
I stuffed the jeans back into my drawer and opened the next drawer, vaguely remembering any larger jeans I had going in there
I found my latest buy, a size ten pair of Ariat jeans.
Guess I'll give these a go.
I stepped one foot at a time through the legs and shimmied the denim up around my bum and hips.
I did the zipper and button up the same way I'd always been able to fasten my size eight's.
Well I guess you've put on weight and are now a size ten.
With a shake of my head I crossed back to my bed, sat down and pulled my socks onto my feet.
I felt fat walking out of my room and knowing I was suddenly a size ten fit.
I've been size eight since I can remember!
"You okay honey?"
Mum asked, rinsing a few dishes in the sink.
"Yeah."
I muttered, crossing to flick the kettle on and have my normal morning cup of tea.
"Talk to me."
I turned around at the feel of my Mum's gentle hand on my arm.
"It's nothing."
I shook my head.
"You'll tell me I'm being crazy."
"Honey."
Mum lifted a hand to gently cup my cheek.
"You can always tell me anything."
I swallowed, trying to think how to put my thoughts into words.
"I..."
I shook my head.
"I tried on two pairs of my normal jeans just before and couldn't do them up."
Mum looked down, apparently checking my pants.
She turned me slightly so she could see the side and the back too.
"Those look great honey."
She assured, offering me a smile.
"They're size ten."
I hissed.
Mum laughed.
"Bout time you grew into your body I'd say!"
What the?!
"Mum!"
I exclaimed.
Behind me, the kettle dinged to let me know it was boiled.
"Make your cuppa."
Mum declared, giving me a quick rather gentle slap on the backside.
"Don't stress, the jeans look great."
That wasn't the problem!
The problem is, I've evidently put on weight!
Well you are pregnant...
With a sigh, I went about fixing my tea.

Blayze loaded Azlan and Zeus into the Ranger's tray and I slipped Zuke into the back seat, seeing as the pup is still too small at only a day over eleven weeks old, being that Blayze doesn't have a dog cage in the tray.
Blayze chained his dogs in, while I climbed into the passenger seat.
Now to drive for around an hour and a half to see Doctor Glenn.
Blayze opened the driver's door, but paused before climbing into the car.
"You ready?"
He checked.
"Yep."
I nodded, pulling the seat belt around myself and finding the plug.
Blayze hauled himself into the driver's seat and slammed the door.
"Thanks for helping."
I all but whispered.
"I hope it didn't cost you too much grief with Grandpa."
Blayze shot me a sideways glance.
"He's still a bit moody but he said and I quote: 'if there's one thing every damn person on this farm should know by now, its that family comes first, so yes, it should be Bailey and you going for the appointment'."
Argh.
Gotta love my Grandfather.
"Does that mean he's grumpy about it or not?"
I asked, confused.
Grandpa's moods lately are certainly getting difficult to take.
"Don't think so, he just yelled at Alex and Jake that they'd better not fuck up the repairs on the windmill coz I'll be in town and Heath's not here to fix their mistakes."
I couldn't help but smile.
Heath hasn't been around he property all that long.
But he'd started to gain himself a reputation for his skills in a few areas.
Apparently windmills and machinery of similar concepts were a bit of a skill of his.
"Speaking of...have you heard from him?"
I asked as Blayze drove toward the front gates.
"He let me know he arrived Saturday arvo."
Blayze shot me a glance.
"A guy I know from there, Elliot, told me he found him absolutely shit faced Saturday night and he gave him a room at the local pub. Heath told me yesterday he was staying at the pub again. Dunno what he's doing today yet though."
Poor Heath.
I can't even imagine what he's thinking and feeling.
"I hope he'll be okay."
I whispered, staring out at the vast land surrounding us, now that we were on the long stretch of red dirt road known as 'The Riverston to Mildura Road'.
Blayze sighed.
"I told him to call me if he needs to."
Yeah.
Grandpa would just have to remember what he'd said about family coming first, if Blayze announced he had to hit the road and get Heath.