Chapter Sixteen

Unfortunately, we couldn't yet touch the little Buckskin Colt we'd named River, without sedating him first.
An anxious part of me feared that Grandpa and Uncle Lukas were watching this and using it for ammunition to end the baby's lite.
I was out to the horses by 4:30AM to try to coax the little guy closer.
Even my Grandparents (the earliest risers on the whole property) weren't up yet.
My drive to make progress with the young, wild horse, was what had me motivated at such an ungodly hour of the day.
After breakfast and the first morning chores I was back to the Colt's yard.
After lunch I was back with him again.
After dinner I was there once more.
Phoenix didn't help matters too much, ninety per cent of the time blocking me from the Colt, wanting my attention all for himself.
Sometimes Quinton too got in the way.
Today at 11AM the Vet, Flinn, was due to check over the Colt and most importantly his wounds.
The sky was blue, the sun was out, coating the farm yard in summer heat and Blayze and I were stood outside of the small paddock.
Phoenix and Quinton stood grazing placidly, tails lazily swishing at flies that landed on their hides.
River hid behind the two bigger horses.
He'd once poked his head around to get a look at us, but was now studiously ignoring our presence.
We could see his black lower legs past Phoenix and Quinton's bodies and his long black tail.
Other than that, he was ensuring to stay out of sight.
"We're going to have to separate him from the boys."
I told Blayze, my hands resting on my hips and my eyes trained on the three horses in the small,  temporary paddock.
Blayze turned to me with raised, disbelieving brows.
"You want to take him away from his new friends?"
I frowned.
How doesn't He of all people see the issue at hand?
"Well, Phoenix and Quinton are going to have to get back to work."
Yeah.
That was my reasoning.
It definitely had nothing to do with desperately wanting to show the Colt we were not going to hurt him.
"Mmmmhm."
Blayze nodded.
"What is wrong with you? Why are you agreeing with me?"
I suddenly realised he was being way too agreeable.
He shrugged.
"Because what you're saying makes sense. And I've been thinkin' it myself."
"But?"
I raised a questioning brow, knowing there was more.
"But... It just doesn't sound like a Bailey style plan."
He admitted, the smallest of frown's creasing his brow.
"Why?"
I folded my arms across my chest, preparing to hear him out.
"I have good ideas."
"And is your idea gonna change when we scare the shit outta him by pulling Quint and Phoenix out and he's sprinting around in circles screaming? Potentially breaking through the electric fencing?"
Blayze — back in 'no nonsense Cowboy mode' — challenged.
I looked towards the small, gangly horse in the yard, hiding behind my horse and Blayze's eldest horse.
My heart clenched.
He was going to lose it when we pulled his newest safety net from him.
And he's so young...
"Don't go gettin' soft hearted and changin' your mind now."
Blayze placed a hand on my shoulder.
Slowly, I turned to face him.
"What do you mean?"
Even to my ears my voice sounded small.
"You're rethinking your idea because he's gonna be upset."
Blayze stated.
"He's just a baby!"
I fought to keep the tremble out of my voice.
"And right now we can't even get near him because he's using our horse's as shields!"
Blayze insisted.
"Maybe he's just watching to see how they act with us."
As far fetched as I knew my idea was, I was hopeful for it.
Blayze snorted.
"Cowgirl Up, Bailey. If you wanna keep that Horse around, we needa be able to be gettin' near him without him being sedated."
At the end of his rant, Blayze folded his arms across his chest and stared down at me with slightly narrowed eyes.
My heart ached for what we were about to do to the poor little horse.
But deep down I knew my earlier thought and what Blayze was saying, was right.

Blayze recruited Uncle Lukas, Troy and Alex to help us.
There was a dust cloud I was struggling not to choke on, as the little Buckskin Colt screamed and galloped around in circles while the guys hazed him back and Blayze and I pulled Quinton and Phoenix from the yard.
Unfortunately for River, neither Quinton nor Phoenix looked back even once to the desperate little horse who was calling for them.
I kept my focus on the paddock around the back of the sheds, where I was meant to be taking Phoenix.
It was kind of cruel, but all thoughts were on that the little Colt might settle faster if he had no choice but to find us as his new safety circle.
Blayze already warned me I was by no means doing this alone.
Way too protective as per usual.
I let Phoenix off into the yard and he went for a walk, exploring his new surroundings.
I folded my arms stop the gate and leaned onto it, watching my dear horse.