Chapter Fifty One

I felt distinctly like a zombie when I stumbled into the kitchen a little after 8AM, the puppy in my arms.
Mum had already taken Joey outside for me.
Now, after having already been sick twice this morning plus up three times overnight with taking the puppy out for the toilet and him having spontaneous bursts of wanting to play, I felt just about dead on my feet.
But my day was far from over.
Today Blayze had to drive to town to pick Tameron up, as the little boy wanted to have another sleepover at 'Blayze's Cool House'.
But that Tanya lady was due to come and pick up Pirate today, between 12 and 2.
Blayze should be back at least by 1.
But he'd recruited Heath and I incase Tanya turned up when he wasn't here.
Also, the owners of the cute little Stock Horse Filly were due to come pick her up.
Flower was her name and she was a truly adorable liver chestnut with a small white star on her forehead and no other white at all on her body.
It saddened me to think of her going off and being tainted by the real world.
I just hope her owners are as nice as they seemed when they brought her over.
"Want a cuppa sweetie?"
Grandma offered.
"Thanks."
I nodded.
"I just gotta take puppy out for toilets."
As if on cue, he squirmed in my arms.
"No worries."
Grandma shot me a smile and pulled another mug down from the cupboard.
"Hold on little one."
I cautioned the puppy, adjusting him in my arms.
I managed to push the door handle then shoulder the screen door out of the way so I could step outside.
Great.
I'd almost forgotten about the rain that came down in the early hours of the morning, along with the cracks of thunder and flashes of lightning.
For now, the skies were grey but holding off.
The ground however, was wet.
Puppy was going to have to get wet in order to go to the toilet.
Maybe Blayze was right, no babying the dog.
Living on the land, we push through most weather types and encourage the animals, namely the horse's and dog's, to do the same.
I paused on the path at the edge of the grass and bent to set the puppy onto the grass.
With a stiff body and his tail between his legs, he tentatively sniffed at the wet stalks of lawn.
"Go do wee's."
I urged.
He turned around and scampered to my slipper covered feet, lifting his paws high and effectively pulling off a bouncing style move as he tried to escape the wet grass.
Maybe talking to him was the wrong thing to do.
But I was trying to get into a habit of being able to tell him when it was a good idea to toilet.
All the other dogs know.
Hence why Azlan and Zeus can do so much travelling with Blayze.
He can stop somewhere, let them off and tell them to relieve themselves.
"Don't be chicken."
I bent to pick him up and set him back out on the grass, managing to keep my slippers off the wet lawn.
The pavement was also wet, but thankfully only reached the rubber underside of my slippers because it had mostly run off the brick surface.
"Do wee's."
I ordered.
Once again, the puppy used high stepping bounding strides to get back to me.
I sighed, frustrated.
"You're not making this easy!"
I bent to pick him up once again.
"I can't step on the grass in my slippers they'll be ruined."
I explained, cradling the puppy at my chest.
He lifted his head to be able to lick my chin.
Smiling, I shook my head.
He really is cute.
The creaking of the yard gate made us both look.
Blayze came through, a fluro high vis weather jacket on, black rough rider on his head, jeans and boots in place.
"How'd he go last night?"
He asked, walking toward us.
"Pretty good."
I told him, stifling a yawn.
"Up and down a few times."
I looked down at the puppy with a smile.
"But now he won't stay on the wet grass and go to the toilet. He hasn't been to the toilet in hours."
Blayze held out a hand.
"I'll take him if ya want."
"You sure you don't have things to get done? Don't you have to leave soon to get Tameron?"
He shrugged.
"Still got about an hour."
"Are your boots waterproof?"
I eyed the expensive looking Ariat's.
A smile twitched at Blayze's lips.
"Yes."
"Sweet!"
I shifted the puppy into my hands and practically pushed him into Blayze's chest.
"Daddy's turn!"
I said with a wicked grin.
"Hey!"
Blayze exclaimed, putting a hand under the puppy to secure him.
"I've got a kid, a dog's a dog."
Laughing, I turned around and headed back into the house.
I paused in the doorway to watch Blayze walk out into the middle of the lawn and bend to deposit the puppy onto the floor.
"Now bloody do ya business."
I heard him say.
The puppy timidly wagged his small tail.
Grinning, I slipped into the house and closed the screen door behind me.
Blayze wouldn't baby the puppy like I would.
But the puppy was in safe 'no nonsense' hands.